MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have ordered a new '05 S. As part of the discussion about 'extra's' for the car we were given two things for us to condsider adding to the car.
1. One is a Simonize finish for about $500. Will cover all paint damage for 5 years, including insects (which can be bad here twice a year). The insects can eat into the finish. They apply the finish when it comes in and then it's covered.
2. Tire insurance (about $350) Our Mini comes with run flat tires and the sales guy says if we have a flat, it will replace the tire. Since the tire costs so much and is about the cost of the insurance is this worth it? We are in FL and their are few nails around from hurricane /damage/repair.

I though about a removable invisibleshield to do the same as the simonize?

What do you think? A semi-ripoff from dealer to make more more money, or money well spent?

Thank you for reading.

kws

·
Happy Motorer!
60 Posts
kseckel99 said:
We have ordered a new '05 S. As part of the discussion about 'extra's' for the car we were given two things for us to condsider adding to the car.
1. One is a Simonize finish for about $500. Will cover all paint damage for 5 years, including insects (which can be bad here twice a year). The insects can eat into the finish. They apply the finish when it comes in and then it's covered.
2. Tire insurance (about $350) Our Mini comes with run flat tires and the sales guy says if we have a flat, it will replace the tire. Since the tire costs so much and is about the cost of the insurance is this worth it? We are in FL and their are few nails around from hurricane /damage/repair.

I though about a removable invisibleshield to do the same as the simonize?

What do you think? A semi-ripoff from dealer to make more more money, or money well spent?

Thank you for reading.

kws
I was offered the same thing (they called the shield-thing Permaplate) and I went ahead and suckered into both. The Permaplate they gave me was also a leather and upholstery/carpet protector, so if I get bird poo on my convertible top and it won't come out, they have to fix it. We have a lot of bugs here in Texas as well, and I have had more than one car that was messed up by bug guts. I figured it was worth it.

I have heard the runflats are pretty expensive as well, so I went ahead and took the gamble.

I'd say I'm still not sure if I was ripped-off or if it's a good deal. Just make sure if you get the simonize that when you pick up the car, you loof for little dribbles and places where they hve not cleaned up well enough. Mine had some waxy-looking buildup in a couple of spots.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is of interest.............

I was going to get an invisishield when I get the car (actually an aftermarket one), but the way this sounds, it is a better deal.

If it covers road debris (rock chips and such).

For the same price it would cover the whole car, not just the front area. Granted it's for 5 years, but I wonder how long the invisishield lasts anyway.

Would like more information on this ... especially details of what is covered, and any exclusions and things that would void the warranty (ie... can you still use products such as clay bar and polish).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MrV said:
This is of interest.............

I was going to get an invisishield when I get the car (actually an aftermarket one), but the way this sounds, it is a better deal.

If it covers road debris (rock chips and such).

For the same price it would cover the whole car, not just the front area. Granted it's for 5 years, but I wonder how long the invisishield lasts anyway.

Would like more information on this ... especially details of what is covered, and any exclusions and things that would void the warranty (ie... can you still use products such as clay bar and polish).
I was thinking about the invisibleshield also. But it's removable only in the fact that you can install and then remove it. After that it's no good. And the dealer told me they tend to yellow in the sun, which sounds true?
The Siminoze finish does cover the whole car. If you need a touch up they can do that also. It can be waxed over top of it. Guess it's a permanent type of application.
I'm also thinking about a bra for the front. Won't protect the full car, but it's cheaper.
I just don't to pay for something that isn't really needed. Like the things dealers sold in years past that was of questionable value. Don't have a problem if it's a wise investment, but like the old undercoating they used to sell at the dealers....

thanks for replying.

kws

·
mini-drive6979
16 Posts
Have just taken delivery of my second Mini and I must admit I did not take the two options the last time and I wish I had. I can deff tell the difference in the paintwork the rain runs off and there is a better shine to the finish( we get pleanty of rain here in Northern Ireland so its put well to the test) On my last Min I had run flats and had two punctures which BMW very nicely made me stump up £90.00 for each, so this time £200.00 for tyre Insurance is worth it. I know that the runflats can be repaired by somone who knows what there doing but there are limitations to this. :eb: good luck and hope you make the right decision :)

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
My Humble opinion:

Wax the car yourself with good quality stuff. Check the maintenance threads.
$500 will buy a lot of wax, probably enough to last the lifetime of the car. The dealers make a lot of money on this.

Don't insure what you can afford to loose. Once agian there is plenty of profit in here for the dealer and the insurance co. They wouldn't offer it otherwise.

But whatever you decide enjoy your mini and have no second thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts