MINI Cooper Forum banner

What do you think to the New Mini Convertible? (Shown on my personal gallery)

• Like it

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Don't Like it

Votes: 41 65.1%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Dont like it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It looks like that tacky Rover 100 convertible :p :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't think its too bad with the roof down, it looks shocking with the roof up though.

If you want a convertible get a sports car, 2 seater one.

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
That would actually look pretty good if it had a hard top instead. Its too small for a soft top!!

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
No thank you! Reminds me of why I've never been a fan of VW drop tops; The huge lump created by putting down the top. A true roadster is engineered with a soft top in mind, and consequently the space the top will take up when down is factored into the design, so you don't have a big bustle. Often when they take a tin top like the MINI and chop it into a convertible, there is nowhere for the top to go, so it sits on the back like in this pic. VWs tend to be even worse, often when I'm behind a Cabrio or an old Beetle ragtop I wonder how the driver can see out the back at all.

Plus I just don't like the looks of it, don't think I would even if they solved the "big hump" issue (by eradicating the back seat, probably). The MINI gets so much of it's character from the roofline...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
130 Posts
convertible Mini

Ick! I don't like that one bit. It reminds me of the VW cabriolet that I hate as well. (Why do females always seem to drive those? I'm a girl and I hate the look. Plus I don't want the Mini to become a chick car). I agree with MGB Boy, get a car that was designed to be a convertible in the first place. I love my Miata to pieces and it looks great with the soft top AND the hard top.

minimott

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
it just looks plain terrible
how bespoke can even print a picture with the roof up when it looks that bad is unbelievable

i am sure that they only decent looking one will be the official version if ever that gets launched, but that will prob reduce it down to a 2 seater anyhow

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Now if it had an SLK style roof.................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Saw a yellow one of these going the other way down the A322 into Bracknell on Sat, but didn't get a very good look at it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: convertible Mini

minimott said:
Ick! I don't like that one bit. It reminds me of the VW cabriolet that I hate as well. (Why do females always seem to drive those? I'm a girl and I hate the look. Plus I don't want the Mini to become a chick car). I agree with MGB Boy, get a car that was designed to be a convertible in the first place. I love my Miata to pieces and it looks great with the soft top AND the hard top.

minimott
Seems to be a lot of Miataholics getting MINIs and keeping their Miatas....me included....I can't understand why!:p :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Often enough the manufacturer's version of a convertible suffers from asthetic, functional, or performance issues, and that's with the resources and funding of the folks that designed the car.

While it is incredible that an aftermarket shop can even convert cars into convertables, I still wouldn't want one.

Of the few cars that look great as convertibles, most were designed to be one, right from the concept phase.

We all agree, BMW could do a better MINI convertible than this, and it would still suffer some over the hardtop version.

I don't think I'll be paying extra for someone to compromise the rigidity of my MINI. Still, neat idea, and with the spirit of people customizing their MINI's to suit them, this is bound to find a few takers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This week's Auto Express has a 2 page spread of it - it doesn't look too bad in the pictures, not as nice as a hard top but ok.

I can post some pictures if you like but I'd recommend buying this issue as its got a pretty high MINI content rating :) A big test where its up against cars like the new 7 series, 307, Merc SL500, Porsche 911 Carrera to name a few.

I won't tell you who wins CAUSE I'M A MEANIE!!!!:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts