MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy a 2nd Hand Mini Cooper S with Chili and Full leather and hifi pack for £16870!! this was on an 07 plate with 10k miles on it!!

Now my problem is that for an Extra £2,500 grand i can get a brand new mini cooper S with no miles and full warranty and have the peace of mind that only i will have driven it.

I just need some advice?? what would you lot do? because they hold their value so well is it worth buying new?? or shall i save £2,500 and get a 2nd hand car.

Also what are the chances of squeezing any discount out of the dealer?

Many thanks,

James

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
get the new one, as something thats sitting there so soon from registration always concerns me as possibly a 'lemon' car that got rejected by its original owner;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guy's,

What are your thoughts on discount on a new car? am i likely to get one? i'd be looking for 4% - 6%.

·
Mini R56 S LiB/B
80 Posts
Thanks Guy's,

What are your thoughts on discount on a new car? am i likely to get one? i'd be looking for 4% - 6%.
All I managed to get was some JCW car mats and a full tank of petrol, dealers round here wouldn't discount :aargh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek: Damn a full tank of fuel!!! best i have had is free TLC pack worth £150..

I'm finding it real difficult as they are all staying at list price. I think the best way will be in person when going order form and then playing hardball!!

thanks for your help guy's

oh one last thing- do any of you guy's rate the hi fi upgrade?

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
I've just placed an order for a new Mini Cooper S, and have just gone through the nightmare process of negotiating with a load of dealers across the Thames Valley. I was initially looking for a CooperS that was about 1 year old, but eventually went for new just because I couldn't find the exact colour/spec combination I wanted. If I could have found something close, I would have gone for second hand 1-year old option.
The other thing to think about is Demonstrators - you can usually get a reasonable deal with these over a new car. Mini dealers buy them with an additional 4-5% discount from Mini but have to keep them for 3 months, and are normally top spec. But bear in mind a bunch of numties have probably test-driven it !

Bear in mind also, the more options you add, the more you'll lose on 2nd hand value: dealers won't take most optional extras into account. For a good ballpark figure on what to expect from a trade-in, go to the wewillbuyyourcar.com or webuyanycar.com sites - they give a good idea of the dealer trade-in prices currently. I actually sold my last car through the wewillbuyyourcar.com site: they gave me £3K more than any dealer offered me for P/Ex (I know !!). So in this sense, a 1-year old car makes a better buy for residual values if this is your main concern.

I eventually went with Derek Woodman in Blackpool for a new Cooper S, I didn't get the best upfront discount from these guys compared to other dealers but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, the customer service & the helpfulness of the sales/service staff eventually meant more to me than a discount.

What I found buying a new Mini was as follows :

1. Most Mini dealers will not discount on their cars, especially on the first quote. The best discount you can find even online is £410 through a broker: however, Mini dealers do allegedly have a clause in their contract that they can be "struck off" if they deal through brokers. So this in effect is pretty much the best discount you are likely to get in *normal* circumstances, and in reality I found the best discount offered generally was about £300 after negotiations off the main car on a general basis. On the good side, the effect of this is that residual prices are held high - if some dealers can discount 10% from new, then de facto the price of a 1-year old Mini would therefore be much less so they wouldn't hold their value that much. So this I think is a policy by Mini to restrict the margin that dealers make so that they don't give away all the margin they earn as discount. If they do discount heavily, they make no profit (but this last point is useful for negotiating at quarter end - see later).

2. Look out for the price of dealer extras though: for example, adding a JCW Aero kit for me adds £1500-1700 at most Southern dealers, DW do this for £1050 - so there's a saving straight away over & above standard mini discount. Likewise, watch out for dealers "hoiking" up the price unnecessarily - £300 for paint protection, £500 for stripes are some of the tricks I found. Instead of discount on the main car, negotiate the discount on the dealer extras - there's more sway for them to do this.

3. If you're thinking of placing an order , try & wait until the last week of the quarter (or the month) if you can contain your enthusiasm & don't need to order straight away. Go visit a number of delaers a couple of weeks in advance, talk to them about you being ready to order & your price target, begin the negotiation. But don't place the order., walk away when you feel you've got the best price but be sure to tell them it's not a good enough deal & you need to think about it. To overcome prolonged negotiation & the salespeople constantly stalling by "going to ask their manager", you could consider the "Best & Final Price" approach - tell them you already have a good quote (use the £300 discount as a best price) , they get only 1 chance to offer you their "best & final offer" & to go consult with thewir manager before presenting you with the final offer. Tell them it's also from a dealer outside the area. Many Mini dealers liketo think they have an "area franchise" but in reality this is illegal & cannot be enforced.
And then you walk away when you get this since you know it's not their best offer.

*** This technique doesn't necessarily get the best deal, but it takes the control element away from the salesperson & onto you (salespeople hate you going between dealers to get the best price, it takes away their capability to nail you to a deal on the spot), and saves prolonged haggling in the early stages. Useful for this type of scenario where you want them to come back to you later & not force a decision in the showroom. ***

4. Then keep politely stalling them till the last week of the quarter/month (ideally the last 2 days !) but keep the dealers "warm" - tell them you're not fully ready to commit, you'll expect to make a final deicision in the last week, etc.....there'll always be one of the dealers in the present climate who have not made their quota for the quarter, and will come back to you with a couple of days left at the end of the quarter for a deal. If you're in the South-East of England, drop me a private note through the forum, I'll let you know which ones came back to me in desperation to meet their month-end targets & at what price. But be aware, the best price doesn't always come from the best dealers....... the majority of Mini dealers I visited down here in the South East were useless. It's a bit like BMW was 3-4 years ago: Minis sell themselves, so the salespeople are not good at coming back to you, if you want questions answered, don't know their product that well (I heard one salesperson tell a prospect that the Clubman had a suicide door either side of the car & came with a 5 year warranty) are not skilled at selling/negotiating & none of them can make a decision (the favourite phrase was "I will have to go & ask my Manager" since none were empowered to make a decision or were not capable of negotiation (yes, I know this is a sales ploy to take away the control of the sales process from the customer to the dealer, but still......): I even had one tell me any discount would be taken directly from his paypacket but he would offer me the discount & sacrifice his commission to at least save his job ! Overall, the process of buying was, quite frankly, miserable.

Buying Used (Cherished)
------------------------------------

5. If you're buying used, the Minis bought through a Mini dealer should be in top-notch condition - do not accept any scratches, stone chips, etc.. since this is against the Mini policy and dealers are supposed to bodyshop all Minis to get them looking pristine. However, some dealers don't do the work required to bring them up to scratch since if they can't sell the used car, they just sell it on (auction, etc) and so it's money lost. You can tell how good the used dealer is by the state of the used Minis they present. Also look for stuff like tyres/wheels: many dealers swap them around since customers often prefer different wheels. So if a car has done 5000 miles, don't assume the tyres have done so: I almost bought a Demonstrator in Maidenhead which had a good spec, nice 18" JC wheels and was almost 3 months old with a saving of about £1500 over list: however the wheels had been swapped from a previous customer's ealrier car who apparently didn't like the 18" wheels, and on closer inspection the car would have required a new set of tyres since the wheels had done much more than the 5000 miles on the clock, thus wiping out any potential savings over a new car.
Regarding Mini discounts on used cars, I've no idea about this but would be interested if anyone has any experience- my girlfirend is looking for a Mini Convertible about the 15K mark, would be useful if anyone knows what sort of discount to go for.

I eventually did a deal all over the phone with Dave @ Derek Woodman which was a lot less hassle, the salesperson was a lot more helpful, straightforward and easy to deal with, was able to make a decision/negotiation himself & since I knew the price was reasonably competitive for the overall package especially including dealer extras & the dealer has a good reputation, was worth sacrificing a bit of up-front discount for (and frankly I couldn't be bothered haggling any more). So I would recommend contacting them in Blackpool once you know what you want and you are comfortable with a realistic price you want to pay if you don't mind a day trip there.

Oh, and if you order over the phone/internet without visiting the dealer, you have a 2-week legal cooling off period in which to change your mind, useful if you are likely to change your mind for whatever reason.

I also went for the Hifi option, I tried a car with the Hifi & non-hifi options & the difference was substantial. Many forum members recommend not going for it, however, and upgrading once you get the car with "Mikey;s" Hi-Fi option, although from what I saw it would cost roughly double & I couldn't be bothered with the hassle - I suppose it depends how good you like your music to be. One dealer did tell me, however, that the Hi-Fi option can be troublesome - the tweeters do blow more than occasionally apparently. Don't know if that's true though, I'm sure the forum members can comment on this..

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had exactly the same dilemma. I chose the new option, that way I got exactly the spec I wanted, longer TLC cover (compared to a used car), and the car will be worth more come trade in time. Placed my order 12-May.
The discount I got was 0.5% off list, and full tank of fuel.
I also went for the HiFi upgrade, better than standard, but not a patch on Mikey’s audio upgrade (but as mentioned earlier – it’s cheaper).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info Dave,

I'll go for the last 2 days of the month and hopefully i'll get close to target. so far i've managed to get £250 off so i'm halfway there i suppose.

The Blackpool dealer does seem to be very good but are not one for giving any discount at the moment.

Anyways thanks for all your help - i'll let you know how i get on.

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts