MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently ordered a Mini Cooper with the Premium package which includes the panoramic sunroof. After reading an article in Motor Trend I am having second thoughts about the sunroof. They complained about the sunroof causing the car to become excessively hot inside and that the sun shade did not adequately stop the heat from building up. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do a search here...

Like a lot of online forum discussions, topics such as the SUNROOF HEAT problem tend to stay around, go round and round, and bubble up repeatedly.

I've followed these threads, and in a nutshell, if you live nearer the equater -- as in FLORIDA -- you might get the sunroof and find a heat problem. Further north and you are unlikely to have any problem whatsoever. There are discussions of solutions for those who do object to the amount of sunshine they are getting. You can do a simple search and find these threads.

People who have the sunroof tend to recommend it heartily. The MINI is a small car and the roof adds a general feeling of spaciousness every day of the week, twenty four / seven.

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
i've always wondered this, and thought that it would be fairly obvious that with a glass roof you're gonna get an effect like a greenhouse especially if you live in hot sunny countries. i'm guess then the shade on the inside of the car doesnt stop light getting through? or does it? i've never seen a panoramic sunroof up close so i dont know. i did consider getting one on a new model. i'd be interested to hear what people have to say about this also.

·
CR/W MC and HO/B MCC
41 Posts
Open the sunroof

I live in Maryland and the summer is very hot. The sunroof and windows can be automatically opened with your key remote as you are walking to your car. All the heat is let out before you get in. No problem.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
I don't have a sunroof, but the MC loaner I had while my car was in for scheduled maintenance did. It was in June and I just felt the sun beating in on me, even with the shade pulled it was still too obtrusive for my tastes, and we had the air cranked. Take that into consideration along with the extra weight it adds, the cost, the wind noise when it's open, the possibility for leaks and possibility for failure of the extra electric junk that could mess up lead me to say that the sunroof just wasn't for me and I'm glad I don't have one.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Love my sunroof. During the summer I only closed it and ran the A/C when temperature was above 90 (rare here) as I'm more of an open car guy. Running A/C full blast with sunroof closed and shade pulled, car was a touch warm on a x-desert trip of about 105 F in August - otherwise I wouldn't worry about extra heat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The only reasons I can think of not to get a sunroof is: 1) you are extrmely heat sensitive or 2) weight savings for racing. If you have any....I mean ANY...interest or desire for the light and breeze offered by a sunroof, just get it. People who have them tend to love them, and there's all kinds of cool gadgets now that people have come up with to beat the heat factor.

(...that said, I don't have a sun roof, nor am I anxious to get one. My personal thermostat won't allow it...but I'm very happy without.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah, what gokartride said is right, there are a few reasons not to get it, the weight being one thing. One thing wasn't mentioned by gokartride is the price. I have to say 850 is a bit much for the sunroof, but it is panoramic so...

I ordered mine with a sunroof because I love the open air feeling, it makes the car feel so much more free. I also believe that when you have the sunroof open the circulation of air is MUCH better and you can breath easier. For these reason I got the sunroof.

As for it getting too hot you can always insert foam or something between the shade and the sunroof. Every argument is not made here so make sure you look around for the threads that have a good smiggen of info on the sunroof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.