MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Manic Hill-Dweller
205 Posts
I like it messy... ...like a vehicular SwissArmy Knife. Neat.
I have no offspring to mame in traffic and America has ample parking anyhow; I believe that was the entire point of that war...
And I really dig the twin wipers aft. Make those soccer-moms envious.
Give me an honest British Racing Green, no metal flake, and a white roof & I'm set.

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
the clubman was at zandvoort race track today and left this evening back to munchen, here are some pics, imo the cooper looks better than the S ;)

Haha I thought the one in the third pic was giving it some large and drifting till I realised hes just turning left and it would be the opposite way to the corner.

I quite like I think the extra length helps resolve the R56 front better and its nice to see it in "regular colours" too. This extra door seems to have be heading for white elephant staus though.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Interesting to read everyone's opinions. I'm with Bill - I like the looks. My only question is who or what can actually fit through that "suicide" door...and um, perhaps a more positive spin on that door's name is in order? :wink:

Thanks to everyone on this board for keeping us all up-to-date with photos!:cool:

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I don't suppose that the "suicide door" might be offered as an (expensive) option, and not as standard? Wouldn't that simplify the engineering and significantly reduce the costs for all those who don't see a need for it (and all those living in the UK and other RHD countries)?

I have somehow managed fine with a growing family and only 2 doors all this time - so long as the front passenegr seat has enough travel when tilted to let passengers get in the back, what's the problem?

It seems to me that the third door (let's call it a "courtesy door" shall we?) is causing a great deal of discussion, and the supporters are outweighed by the critics - so come on, MINI, satisfy both lobbies and you have another winner! :D:D

Ian

PS - Dear MINI, if you would like to engage me as a consultant, feel free to drop me a PM ;)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
It's a suicide door, that's what they're called. Don't let political correctness seep into car design talk too! ;) :D
Sorry boss, I was just trying to help the poor MINI marketing people who have to spin this up into a desirable feature. A momentary aberration - won't happen again ;)

But....if they do use it - you owe me a beer!

Ian

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Suicide Door vs Courtesy Door?

OK, here's part of the Wikipedia description:

"A suicide door is a car door that is hinged on the trailing edge; the edge closer to the rear of the vehicle. The term reflects a perceived increased danger of the door falling open if it becomes unlatched while the car is moving[1]. Because of the obviously negative connotations, the term is avoided in major automobile manufacturers' promotional literature, although it is familiar to many English-speakers and often used openly in the custom-car trade.

The door arrangement also instills other negative perceptions. While the vehicle is parked, such a door would hide an entering or exiting passenger from the view of passing cars. The result of the door being hit by another vehicle would likely be more catastrophic, since the door would be slammed shut onto the passenger, even if merely nicked on the outside edge. In contrast, a door hinged at the front would be pushed away from the passenger and possibly torn off entirely."

Suicide door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there's no Wikipedia or Google reference for "Courtesy Door" (apart from as in "courtesy door lights"), so I reckon I am onto a marketing winner here!

"MINI Clubman - the first car with an Asymetric Courtesy Door" :D

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
With all that plastic around the arches the alloys look puny.....

guess thats already been said elsewhere about the R56, but it just seems extenuated here....

·
Registered
297 Posts
No doubt someone has suggested this before, but to me, this looks like what the R56 was designed to be. The proportions of the Clubman imo are all correct unlike the hatch which looks squashed. Now if only they had decided to stick with the R53 design for the hatch and cabrio and gone for this style for the Clubman - that would have been the finest line up.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts