MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
PMSL-Fits all kinds of MINI?
Hope not!!!

There have been a few MINI keys being sold on Ebay in the Past, usually sold as that they can be re programmed to unlock/lock your car. This guy is also selling some Chrome Covers for the Roll Bars off the Convertible-So he has probably got access to a written off Convertible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It does have some value...

It IS pretty cheap right now... Less than one pound.

Here's an idea...

Will the keyless entry work in a MINI when the key is in the ignition? If so, snap up this little jewel, have it programmed for your car and keep it in your pocket as a transmitter. From other posts, it's pretty simple to disassemble it and remove the metal (actual key) part to make it smaller. Most GM cars transmitters work fine with the key in the ignition. It's worth a shot. When I pop into a store for a quick stop, sometimes I leave the car running and lock it with my transmitter. (Don't start a flame war over this. I live in a peaceful rural area and it's safe to do this here)

Also, for a small amount, you could just buy it and give it to a kid as a toy.

Rawhyde

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Pre '05 MINIs have a battery; apparently the new '05 key is charged when in the ignition (but I have not got one to verify this - maybe I should buy the eBay one!)

RawHyde,
Others have disassembled the key as you suggest - for example:
this NAM thread

"Trippy" did this mod long ago, but he seems to have been removed from NAM ... this is/was his web site but it is of no use for finding the MINI key mod he did:
http://bobodyne.com/web-docs/index.html

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
J1JPE said:
seems dodgey to me; someones got access to 'spare' parts alright - anyone's car missin' a few ??

There are always people from 'OXFORDSHIRE' selling Mini parts on ebay - anything they could get under their coats at knocking off time at the factory.

75% of theft is done from inside a business by its employees. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
tea leaves

Tony*t3 said:
There are always people from 'OXFORDSHIRE' selling Mini parts on ebay - anything they could get under their coats at knocking off time at the factory.

75% of theft is done from inside a business by its employees. :rolleyes:
best place for tea is in bags

very true about the 75%; hands up who hasnt got a few pens, a stapler, sellotape, post-its at home "just in case they have to do some work ... in the evening / at the weekend" etc ...
:bad:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Hahah I bought quite a few keys from e-bay... BMW, Audi, Mercedes all those... but I have yet to find a decent price MINI key to re-program to my car as an extra transmitter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts