MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mini Cooper Paceman Auto ALL4 SD JCW
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and Hello to everybody
Im a complete newbie to the world of Minis and have owned mainly VW and Audis, I really like the German quality and hope I won't be too disappointed with the BMW mini,
So here we go then I have recently purchased a 2014 Mini Paceman 2.0 SD ALL4 auto JCW I can't post ant pics yet as its not running and currently in my Garage Awaiting major Surgery, I know a lot of you will be very surprised that I've purchased a car with a major problem but it honestly doesn't bother me I just love having a project and this came from a relative for a very reasonable price, The car is immaculate so once sorted should make a nice runabout for me, hopefully this forum will be a good place for me to start with my new winter project :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Buying a project like this makes perfect sense to me. (My wife may beg to differ)
[/QUOTE
Welcome to the forum!

Buying a project like this makes perfect sense to me. (My wife may beg to differ)
it'll certainly give me something to do over the winter months and hopefully sorted for the spring :)

·
Registered
2011 Mini all4 cooper s
205 Posts
Welcome and good on you if you have bought one with an engine problem as most of these engine if that is the issue need majot work at some point in there lifr so you may as well get it over and done with from the start lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome and good on you if you have bought one with an engine problem as most of these engine if that is the issue need majot work at some point in there lifr so you may as well get it over and done with from the start lol
Thanks as I said I'm new to the world of minis and no doubt this will be a learning curve and with help from this forum I'm hoping it won't turn into a nightmare ;) I really want if possible to save/repair the original engine rather than replace with an unknown

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loads of info on here and a lot of guys that know what they are doing had mine rebuilt what is up with yours if you don’t mind us asking
[/QUOTE Thanks I'm hopeful I can get advice from members, The problem with the car is that its making a loud knocking noise and sounds like a big end gone I've only just managed to get the car back to my garage so as yet haven't really started to get into it, a good friend of mine works on lots of BMW's and thinks it could be timing chain slipped and possibly damage in the head but that's as far as I've gone at the moment so first thing ill do is remove rocker cover and have a good look at cams followers etc, I've checked the oil level and its very low so it could be bottom end but ill start with having a look at the top end first and go from there, previous owner said it was running fine then suddenly started making a loud knocking sound whilst driving to work one day he had it recovered and local garage said big ends gone but they weren't really interested in doing any further investigations so it was just assumed the bottom end was gone.

·
Registered
2011 Mini all4 cooper s
205 Posts
Have a look at some of the posts mike1867 has posted he has refreshed a lot of these engines you won’t go far wrong having a look at what he does for pointers and yes timing chains piston rings and valve seals are all crap so as you are doing it you can go right through it 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have a look at some of the posts mike1867 has posted he has refreshed a lot of these engines you won’t go far wrong having a look at what he does for pointers and yes timing chains piston rings and valve seals are all crap so as you are doing it you can go right through it 👍
yes I've had a look at mike1867 post and he knows his stuff but I get the impression that he really doesn't like these engines and seems to advise on swapping them instead of costly rebuilds unless its only a rattling chain

·
Registered
2011 Mini all4 cooper s
205 Posts
Funny you should say that as he pulled mine back from the death as the timing chain wea f!!Jed had about 1 mm of travel left had new rings and a complete rebuild almost and sorted out my ecu where some idiot had mapped out the o2 sensors to hide the fact the timing chain was so bad and he is always in the end of either a post or a message

1 - 13 of 13 Posts