MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished the install for now,

Just added 6.5" Focal fronts and a 10" sub to the MINI. Will post photos tomorrow.

Also, adding 6.5" speakers to the fronts is do-able, but takes a bit of planning...

One loud MINI.

Dom

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Dom said:

Just added 6.5" Focal fronts and a 10" sub to the MINI. Will post photos tomorrow.

Also, adding 6.5" speakers to the fronts is do-able, but takes a bit of planning...

One loud MINI.

Wheres the piccis ???????

Dom
:confused:

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Dom said:

One loud MINI.

Dom
I'm glad you're not in Leeds

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, piccies, sorry about that. Will take some now.

And I'm glad I don't live in leeds too :p

Dom

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New MINI lacks boot

Took the photos yesterday, uploaded them to my personal gallery but for some reason the site stopped working when I tried to post!

Anyway: Dom's ICE photos

This install is only temporary, and one of two things will happen to it in the next couple of weeks.
1) Be replaced by a decent install which looks a tad more professional
2) Be ripped out and placed in the Landrover, along with a few more amps, subs, speakers, tv's, overdrafts, bank loans...

Any questions, comments, feel free... just remember, it's only temporary!!

Cheers,

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
It looks alright to me :D
How about a few, nice Alpine V12 amps :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
CD changer

I'm having a single slot CD player in my new Cooper, as I presume a changer goes in the boot?

I didn't want to further restrict the 'toy-town' boot.

Is this correct?

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: CD changer

J.N. said:
I'm having a single slot CD player in my new Cooper, as I presume a changer goes in the boot?

I didn't want to further restrict the 'toy-town' boot.

Is this correct?
That all depends if you still have a boot ot not ;)

Otherwise, yes, cd changer is mounted in the boot. I think you'll have the brackets already there, but I'm not entirely sure. Are you getting the changer with the single cd player then?

Dom

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
i'm quite into car audio or "ice" as u europeans seem to call it :) and am planning on ordering a Cooper S here in australia soon (they're not released till july or something)
and i noticed Dom, you said that 6.5's can be put in the doors with "planning" i was just curious 2 know if you had any pictures of the doors when u had the trims removed. the speakers in the stock holes etc

also i've noticed in some photo's i've seen what looks to be mountings for tweaters in the doors as well.. i've looked around some of the picture galleries looking for detailed foto's of the doors and such but havent had much luck (mayb i need 2 look a little harder :) )

if you, or any of u mini owners out there with a digital camera could take lots of pictures of all the inside of the car back and front and boot, even pictures of the dash when u've been installing a new head unit etc or can direct me to where they are already i'd be greatly appreciative...

i wanna be absolutely sure of what im gonna do with my car sound wise well before i get it... i know im a little eager but im planning every little detail :)

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The door, with the door card removed:

The tweeters are located just by the door handle and are 1" in size. I fitted the 6.5" speakers by building my own 'spacers' out of mdf (as you can see, the standard speakers are already stuck-out an inch or two). Won't take any photos of that though, as it looks ugly!

This is a picture of the standard rear speakers in the car with the panel removed:

This is a picture of the boot, although not quite standard but gives an idea (yes, I know, I haven't done the new install yet...)

Ermm... this is the dash, although with a different head unit...

Instructions of how to fit headunit can be found here:
To remove the radio do the following:

1. Remove 4 bolts either side of the silver vertical pieces
2. Remove 2 screws in cupholders
3. Carefully pull out shiny rim surrounding gearstick
4. Put your hand under the mirror adjuster dongle and pop that up out of it\'s fitting
5. Remove screw(s) (sorry forgotten!) that are now visible
6. Lift up whole unit to reveal polystyrene pieces under each silver vertical piece, and carefully remove both of them
7. Silver pieces can now be moved out of the way
8. Remove 4 screws holding front of radio in place

And these were quite useful, coz it would have taken me ages to work it out! Gazzaman28 is the man to thank for that...

Think that about covers it, any more questions, just ask!

hope that helps,

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
So do you still wanna install my ICE :confused: :confused: ;)

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you wanna venture down to Swindon, yeah...

I've decided MINI's are easy to do, compared to my mate's ford mondeo I've just done. Bloody ford wiring...

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
How long did it take to do the Install :confused: :confused:

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It took me half a day to do the boot build, including wiring, buying all the bits etc and carpeting.

I guess a couple of hours for the rear speakers, and a couple of hours for the fronts.

Head unit took about half an hour...

It's all quite easy once you've done one. For instance, doing one side of the speakers was a lot quicker after doing the other side. I reckon I could knock that entire install out in about half a day now...

Dom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts