MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my '05 MC. Just one issue the upholstery on the front seats is not what I ordered. It's a pattern called Dragon only offered on Mini One and not available here in the US. The backseat has what I ordered, so the front and back do not match. The dealer has ordered new seats to replace front seats. Here is the question, my husband thinks we should keep the Dragon seats just to be different. It really doesn't look bad. I'm just concerned IF we ever decide to sell the car would this lessen the value? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe a rare error that could eventually make this car a collectible. I don't know when you would be thinking of selling, but the price of a couple of good used seats in a few years would not be much, and this rare "feature" could be something for you to promote at selling time. I would keep them and at least be proud that you are one of the few owners in the country that has these seats.

-Michael

'04 MCS DS/W

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
How could they not notice mismatching seats at the factory! Looks like someone at the Oxford plant had a hangover that day...

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
I think if you have mismatched front and back seats that would lessen the value. But so long as they are the same I don't think you will lose out. Is a prospective buyer going to worry about Dragon, Octagon or whatever? They'll only be concerned about whether the upholstery is in good repair :)

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
If you have the standard seats in your MC maybe ask to have them replaced with the sport seats as a gesture to make up for the error. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
malina said:
Just picked up my '05 MC. Just one issue the upholstery on the front seats is not what I ordered. It's a pattern called Dragon only offered on Mini One and not available here in the US. The backseat has what I ordered, so the front and back do not match. The dealer has ordered new seats to replace front seats. Here is the question, my husband thinks we should keep the Dragon seats just to be different. It really doesn't look bad. I'm just concerned IF we ever decide to sell the car would this lessen the value? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
I don't know what you had to pay for your MC but I would bet it was somewhere near $20 grand. For that sum of money, I would take the car back to the dealer and force them to make it right. First off show them the order and tell them either get the seats you ordered or give you the money back you paid for the car. I would have never accepted the car with mismatching seats!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Personally, I would keep it for the novelty factor. But then again, I'm also one of the lucky ones with an Englush accent on my NAV system :D

·
OCD MINI Owner
33 Posts
I would definately keep them. You're extremely lucky to get a euro only option in the US- that really increases the value. You should have them make the rear seats match....

Collectors like unique items, especially from other markets. My grandfather, back in the day, had a custom Mercedes made and since he was stationed in Germany, it was German spec. When he brought it back to the US, and it came time for a new one, that MB with some valuable euro only items fetched a much higher price than what it was worth.

I say keep them!!

Motor on and welcome to the most fun on four wheels! :indi:

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Take a picture for posterity and get matching front seats ...

HVY WGHT said:
I would definately keep them. You're extremely lucky to get a euro only option in the US- that really increases the value. You should have them make the rear seats match....
I doubt the dealer can order matching rear seats.

The car doesn't have a "Euro only" option ... it has mis-matched seat upholstery.

I doubt the "Euro only" knee bolster in my MINI makes it more valuable ;)

Attachments

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
MINIAC said:
I doubt the dealer can order matching rear seats.

The car doesn't have a "Euro only" option ... it has mis-matched seat upholstery.

I doubt the "Euro only" knee bolster in my MINI makes it more valuable ;)

I agree with this :)

Does it not look a bit strange with mis-matching seats?
I would be off to the dealer to get them swopped

·
Registered
14 Posts
Miniac, did your Mini come from the factory with the Euro-only knee-bolster? That would make a difference as to whether it would change the worth of your car to an enthusiast collector.

Interestingly, no one has written to say whether they like or dislike the dragon cloth. I went to the Ireland and France Mini sites and saw pictures of it. It's pretty nice, very sporty. Of course, we don't yet know what it's paired with interior-wise, nor do we know Malina's exterior choices. Mini's are unique cars and they make a statement. Having some vagabond seats in your Mini might just make the right statement.

Malina, I have one question. Have you asked your Mini whether he/she would like their seats changed??

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
mshakar said:
Miniac, did your Mini come from the factory with the Euro-only knee-bolster? That would make a difference as to whether it would change the worth of your car to an enthusiast collector.
There was no "Euro only" knee bolster when my MINI was built in May 2002. Some 2003 US models arrived from the factory with these knee bolsters, but dealers were instructed to swap them out for some reason. For a short while it could be special ordered from Germany and that's how mine was sourced.

There was someone who took delivery of US MCS Convertible with one of these factory fitted:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69865

1 - 12 of 12 Posts