MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group,
I purchased a 2002 "S" and though very knowledgeable on cars I am not up on the various mecchanics of the new Mini. I did own an original 1965 years ago.

My car has 8000 miles on it and the factory warranty is still in effect, will changing my own oil void the warranty? Is there anything unusual about doing an oil change on these cars as opposed to a "normal" engine?

Any tidbits for a new owner will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Folis-

Suffolk, Virginia :yellow:

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
No, changing the oil will not void the waranty. I did one at 5,000 just fpor peace of mind. There are no tricks, just drain the oil as usual, twist off the filter canister (some use a socket, but I forget which size, I used an adjustable wrench), pull the filter out, push the new filter into the canister until you feel it kind of "pop" into place, and screw it back on.

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
dansmini said:
No, changing the oil will not void the waranty. I did one at 5,000 just fpor peace of mind. There are no tricks, just drain the oil as usual, twist off the filter canister (some use a socket, but I forget which size, I used an adjustable wrench), pull the filter out, push the new filter into the canister until you feel it kind of "pop" into place, and screw it back on.
but wont the oil quality sensor "that tells u how many more miles till ure next service" be affected by doing it ureself ??

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
2BAR_G40 said:
but wont the oil quality sensor "that tells u how many more miles till ure next service" be affected by doing it ureself ??
This oil quality sensor you mention is something I have never heard of before. All I know is that my car's service indicator count down went unaffected to 0 after my first 10,000 miles, even after I did my change at 5000. My dealer did the change at 10,000. Now the service indicator is counting down from 15000. All appears well and good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The "oil sensor" is the ECU in the car, which needs to be reset by a MINI tech or someone else with the equiptment. If I understand it correctly, it is just basically a thing that has been told that in 10,000 miles you need an oil change, and the indicator monitors how many miles you have on your car vs. when that mark is hit. The ECU has no way of knowing that the oil has been changed unless someone tells it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.