MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Prototype
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a lot of pad clacking noise and little pad bite after installing new rotors and pads ?

Apparently the regular vented Brembo rotors I ordered from Tire Rack have a lightly grooved surface like you find on old vinyle LPs which helps with the bedding in process. ( Hawk HPS pads - OEM calipers ) A helluva racket and dangerous while the pads bed in.

Any idea how long this process will take and will there be any damage to the clacking pads inside the calipers ?

I have never experienced this with any of my passenger cars. Is it because the brake parts I have selected are slightly performance oriented ? I can't imagine you guys with track cars having to go through this rigmaroll. :puzzled:

Thanks

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I can''t help on much, however, it depends on how you brake in respects to how long it will take to bed them in. Saying that I'm still on factory fit pads and discs...

·
Prototype
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am driving with caution until the pads begin to bite and the claking goes away. Still no response from the vndor on this issue. Not sure why they didn't disclose information about directional rotors.

PS - the Hawk HPS pads I purchased will accept the rear brake sensor despite what the vendors web site says.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
PS - the Hawk HPS pads I purchased will accept the rear brake sensor despite what the vendors web site says.
Thats very useful - thanks for posting. How hard is it for the brake pads to accept the sensor - is it a case of you make a gap or do they have a premade gap? Thanks!:cool:

·
Prototype
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a space in the Hawk HPS rear pads but, to be honest I did not complete the work myself. The darned torx bolts holding the rotors were seized so I gave the job to my independent mechanic and he drilled them out.

When the job was completed he informed me the sensor fit in the rear pads without a problem.

There you go. Bob's your uncle !

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I am driving with caution until the pads begin to bite and the claking goes away. Still no response from the vndor on this issue. Not sure why they didn't disclose information about directional rotors.

There is a space in the Hawk HPS rear pads but, to be honest I did not complete the work myself. The darned torx bolts holding the rotors were seized so I gave the job to my independent mechanic and he drilled them out.

When the job was completed he informed me the sensor fit in the rear pads without a problem.

There you go. Bob's your uncle !
Sounds good - whats the difference in price between these and OEM?:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts