MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just recently bought(privatly) a 54 plate one with 27k miles with a full bmw serivce history. When I road tested the car it had a slight hesitation and a reluctence to rev cleanly to the red line. I initially put this down to the fact that the car hadn't been used much and perhaps the fuel was a bit stale.
After a fresh tank of juice and a STP injector cleaner it improved a bit but was still not perfect. The car was serviced in feb (tlc) but no metion on the recipt where plugs or an air filter, now I know bmw say 40k miles for plugs but I thought I would have a look at them anyway.
I got a set of NGK BKR6EQUP for just over £20 (trade) and slipped them in over the weekend along with removing half a corn field from the air filter.................................................................and what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the old plugs had definate tracking evidence down the insulator which I belive was causing a slight misfire under heavy acceleration.

The car is now perfect, much smoother on light throttle and far far sharper through the rev range, it will now very happily rev beyond 6k.

Sorry for the long post and it's not meant to be a dig at bmw's service proceedures but if your mini is not as sharp as it used to be and the plugs are over 20k miles old, a new set might just put a smile back on your face.

cheers.........................................................

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Just proves you need to ensure that you check on your car as well - can't rely on the dealer always!

·
Registered
153 Posts
hmm seems that i might have this problem. at low speeds it feels like im rolling on oval wheels if you get what i mean lol, what spark plugs would you recommend??

many thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts