MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just purchased a 2008 Mini Cooper 1.6 diesel which I believe is classed as an R56 (please correct me if I’m wrong). I’m sure over the next couple of weeks while I get to know my Mini I will have lots of questions to ask so I thought the best people to ask would be fellow owners of these wonderful cars so here we go.
My Cooper does not seem to have the Bluetooth option or a usb plug ! Is this something that can be easily upgraded or am I going to have to replace the whole radio system to do this ?
Also is there any common faults that I need to look out for or be aware of ?
Many Thanks
Martin

· Registered
13,636 Posts
Hi, I have just purchased a 2008 Mini Cooper 1.6 diesel which I believe is classed as an R56 (please correct me if I’m wrong). I’m sure over the next couple of weeks while I get to know my Mini I will have lots of questions to ask so I thought the best people to ask would be fellow owners of these wonderful cars so here we go.
My Cooper does not seem to have the Bluetooth option or a usb plug ! Is this something that can be easily upgraded or am I going to have to replace the whole radio system to do this ?
Also is there any common faults that I need to look out for or be aware of ?
Many Thanks
Martin
being 2008 1.6 hdi mini it has the Peugeot Citroen psa diesel engine in it like any car they have their needs, oil changes under 10k with a engine flush oil flush seafoam is what i used the first time used 10 miles before dropping oil stick can on engine oil drain out hot...
this engine runs timing belt and chain system chain links the cam shafts,, any noise from this chain you must fix it asap as will eat a hole in the rocker cover, psa put a 150k service timing on the chain part and 100k on cam belt side,, but and its a big but the water pump runs off the timing belt and dont tend to do much north of 70k as a rule,, 60-70k timing belt and water pump a good way forward,,
the next bit is the particulate filter or dpf for short, this is a 75k replace service item, it also run additive tank this needs replacing at 45k and needs ecu counter reset, the filter also needs to be fitted then the ecu told it has a new one and reset adaptions,,, ebay do a filter elements a lot cheaper than anywhere else for £120 additive 2 litres its possible to refill the bag under the car..
the turbo oil feed pipe has a gauze filter in it on the banjo bolt on the block behind the dpf filter i always remove this filter as it blocks up and causes turbo failures for a pastime... turbo's fail when they do the oil gets eaten by the engine and revs until it has no more oil left it called diesel over run . turbo makers out a 80-120k on turbo life span.. refurb units cheapest way forward £199 ish on ebay.
a lot of turbo problems are caused by 20k oil changes and no flush used all their lives the engines are known in the trade as dirty engines..
all the above parts are designed around 80k ish i feel by makers as a vague life span, when any of them fail they tend to do damages above and beyond them selves if that makes sense,, sometime question if by design to generate more money after 5-8 years on the road. my last two clubman diesels were mapped they go very well then. and i always do the above to them for future proofing piece of mind and parts at trade prices of course

Reactions: Martin Isted
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.