MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9mpg avg over the tank. Lordy :(

Admitedly it was on a track day at Rockingham today and the car was rarely under 5500rpm for the whole time.

Actually did very well and was an great day. Stock brakes not really up to the job though.

I would recomend it to anyone who wants to see just what their Mini can REALLY do :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like the mpg on my first Ford V-8!

Seriously, at the track tha's not bad. I read that Formula 1 cars do 1.5 gallons per lap (according to Road and Track.

The Hummer twits in my neighborhood get around 6-8 mpg, depending on houw stupid they are. Oh, by the way, that's driving on the pavement ALL THE TIME! Do the math.

I think R&T did a track day with a Toyota Prius recently, and got about the same numbers as you--if not lower. I know they did not have as muc fun!

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fun sums up the day :D

Main problem was brake fade and lack of traction from the Goodyear run flats on exiting tight corners but it amazed me just how fast a Mini can go round a track. Everyone should do it at least once!

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
good for you! Mine went from 27.1 to 11 on my track day! but you take the biscuit! :D I totally agree with you - such fun cars to go around in.. but the tyres and the breaks could do with being better.... you surprise a lot of porsche/tvr/lotus etc owners out there!!! :)

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which track did you get on?

Rockingham tends to be very hard on brakes on the infield section and then braking off the banking into the chicane. It's a technical circuit and nearly all 2nd and 3rd gear in the Mini. Slight nerves on the banking itself as the concrete wall looks very hard as it goes past your window at 115mph:eek:

I would certainly recommend it if you wanted to try another track day.

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
I'm always up for it but saving for Christmas at the mo... i've only done Goodwood and Snetterton... thinking about getting a license for next year but we'll see.... :)

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also thinking of doing my license. one of the friends I went with on saturday races Radicals and is trying to convince me to do the license next year.

He had a Superlight Caterham at Rockingham and however fast you think a Mini goes that thing kicked some serious ass and I thing was about the fastest car there apart from a Radical. It was a wild ride in the apssenger seat :D

If I do do the license then a Caterham would probably the car of choice. Have a look at www.caterhamracing.com if you're interested in getting into motorsport.

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
I went out in a Radical at Snetterton - Jeez those things shift! :eek:

If I get my license it'll only be for road rallys, hill climbs and sprints - I'd do it in the Mini but wouldn't race as such... she's too precious! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts