MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its the first of September, the new number is out, well so I have heard.

Does this really effect anyones buying pattern now in the UK when buying a new car?

I know used to love having the new plate when it was once a year, first of August, loads of people collection cars at midnight, the buzz was great and it was something that felt special:)

But now its twice a year, and doesn't seem to be the same as it was.

Do you hang on for the new plate?

If so why?

And do you look out for the new plate anymore?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
It doesn't have the buzz that it used to... that's for sure...... :(

Although if I ordered a new car for August delivery, I'd be tempted to wait a few weeks and have them register it on the new plate still :p

The 58 gives some good possibilities for the cherished plates too ;)

WA58 AAD -- Was Baad!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Given that the idea of introducing two plates a year as opposed to one was to leseen the 'hanging on' effect, I'd say it's done a pretty good job.

It seems to me that more people prefer to hang on for model revisions rather than just a plate change now. And that condition and mileage will play a far greater effect on SH values.

All that said, it is lovely to be in a new car on day one.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
the downside now is that if you do hang on for a new reg, within 6 months it's no longer 'new'. at least previously you got a full year's worth of excusivity. i do seem to remember reading that the september change is still far more popular than the march one

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
Yes, it was a special event when the new plate came out and now it's a complete non event :(

The change is too frequent and the way the number changes is too convoluted for most casual observers to be bothered to work out the age of a car :rolleyes:

The year that the car was registered in, along with the model year of the car, seem to have much greater importance now.

I had my current MINI registered in Feb '07 as I really couldn't have cared less!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I also wouldnt buy a '58' plate coz it adds to 13, even though I have a private plate :eek: :p

I waited till March 1st to get my Dooper on an '08' plate, coz I wanted a 'new' car, fat lot of good that did :p Ended up getting the S registered straight on the personal plate coz I wasnt fussed anymore :hmph:

But I still look out for new plates, seen 3 '58' platers today :D A Golf GTI, Astra Sport Hatch, and a Cooper S :p

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
I so desperately wanted to collect my first Mini at the stroke of midnight on 1st Sept and was so upset to be told by my dealership that they didn't do that now!

:(
The last time I did a midnight handover was 1st September 2001 when the new style plates first came out.

Since then I don't remember anyone asking if they still happen, which pretty much sums up the indifference of people as a whole.

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
The last time I did a midnight handover was 1st September 2001 when the new style plates first came out.

Since then I don't remember anyone asking if they still happen, which pretty much sums up the indifference of people as a whole.
A friend of my dads got his E Class cabrio (one of the very last) midnight, August the 1st 1997, so he could have his R Plated.

As long as the plate doesn't add up to 13, its fine by me :eek::p:p

·
The real JT
2,787 Posts
Wouldn't buy a 58 plate - Adds up to 13 :eek::eek:
We've just had a customer cancel his order for a new 500 because of that! :angry:

I didn't actually think anyone else would think the same way though!
I also wouldnt buy a '58' plate coz it adds to 13, even though I have a private plate :eek: :p
Nutters, the lot of 'em.:rolleyes::D

Guess March 2013and the following months will be pretty quiet. If we're still allowed to drive cars by then, I might be able to pick up a bargain

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Yearly was always better, I remember my first new car, a 2000 X Reg, went down first thing in the morning to pick it up-felt lovely driving around brand new. As finance now though is so easy to get (well maybe not so much at moment!) It's not as special as it used to be and especially now it's twice yearly!
Doesn't bother me anymore anyway as I have a private plate too now!

·
Dooper is the dogz!
1,458 Posts
Apparently 0s hold value better than 5s. If you worry about that sort of thing.
I much prefer the 0s to the 5s, think they look tidier on the car. All three of ours at home are 06, 07, , 07 but mine is obviously private plated now :)

And, I got my 07 in May, and then put my private plate on in September, when it became 'old' lol

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I much prefer the 0s to the 5s, think they look tidier on the car. All three of ours at home are 06, 07, , 07 but mine is obviously private plated now :)

And, I got my 07 in May, and then put my private plate on in September, when it became 'old' lol
I did that with my ONE :eek: Got it in March and the plate went on at the end of August :eek: :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts