MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at least I hope it's reliable. I have a new brochure in my hand, part #111 050 150 25 (S) 2 2001.

In this brochure the 5 star wheel is optional on the Cooper AND on the "S" !!! Maybe MINI has heard our cries.

Also, a MINI person (full sized though) cleared the allocation thing up like this...the cars in port here now are demos and showroom cars and will not be sold. The first Cooper "S" cars for sale are factory specced with no dealer input, and are slated for May production. They will be available for sale in June. Customers will be able to see how those cars are specced very soon, and will be able to select one of those or spec their own car for July delivery.

So, since I'm #1 at my dealer, I can have a June car that's factory specced, or wait a month na d get one made my way.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow, GREAT news about the wheels!! :D

The delivery plan doesn't sound very good though............I've been patient since June '01 but July is sooooooooo far away......I may opt for the Cooper instead

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Ken, based upon your conversation do you have any idea how many S's will arrive pre-spec'd at each dealer in June, and following that, how many customer-ordered S's will arrive each month at a typical dealer? (Just trying to keep up with all this :D)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ken, is this info coming from Sylvia?? Was this specific to Towson or everyone?
To be honest, I have not found Sylvia any more knowledgable than most of the dealers. I'm really confused as to why people at MINI USA are saying one thing and Sylvia is saying another.
Oh well, I'm now not going to count on a car until it's sitting in front of me, which at this point, I'm starting to care less about.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

kshapiro said:
Well, at least I hope it's reliable. I have a new brochure in my hand, part #111 050 150 25 (S) 2 2001.

In this brochure the 5 star wheel is optional on the Cooper AND on the "S" !!! Maybe MINI has heard our cries.
That's the part number on the brochure I got at the LA Auto Show. The caption under the 5-star wheel picture on the bottom of the PACKAGES page is INCORRECT. See the first STANDARDS AND OPTIONS page for the CORRECT wheel availability.

AFAIK, you'll still have to work with your dealer on swapping X-lites for 5-stars.

If anyone hasn't emailed MINI USA ([email protected]) voicing their displeasure that 5-stars are a no cost option almost everywhere except the US, please do so.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: New Reliable "S" Info. Wheels / Delivery...

BruceK said:
Ken, based upon your conversation do you have any idea how many S's will arrive pre-spec'd at each dealer in June, and following that, how many customer-ordered S's will arrive each month at a typical dealer? (Just trying to keep up with all this :D)
not sure how many pre-spec'd cars there will be. The dealer said 25 customer cars a month, but that may have been a mix of Coopers and Ss. They are getting an allocation that weighs in favor of the "S" since that's how their deposits are coming in (everywhere I presume in the US so far).

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garfield said:
Ken, is this info coming from Sylvia?? Was this specific to Towson or everyone?
To be honest, I have not found Sylvia any more knowledgable than most of the dealers. I'm really confused as to why people at MINI USA are saying one thing and Sylvia is saying another.
Oh well, I'm now not going to count on a car until it's sitting in front of me, which at this point, I'm starting to care less about.

Yes

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Re: Re: Re: New Reliable "S" Info. Wheels / Delivery...

kshapiro said:

The dealer said 25 customer cars a month, but that may have been a mix of Coopers and Ss. They are getting an allocation that weighs in favor of the "S" since that's how their deposits are coming in (everywhere I presume in the US so far).
IMHO if your dealer is telling you they're getting more 'S' models than Coopers, they're not giving you reliable information. The original plan was 25% 'S' production. There is no way enough will come in this year to meet the demand of those on waiting lists. Once 'S' production has ramped up, I think 8-10 per month is the best a dealer can expect.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for the update. I figure I won't see our new "S" until about September. MINI of Arlington will not be ready to open in March and I'm a little bit farther down the list. Gives me a little more time to save up for the down payment. Looking forward to seeing your "S" first...

JP

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ken, after your post, we checked our MINI USA source again. Two different people we've been in contact with say that their computers show the build information and both were saying the following that I've posted elsewhere:
- IF THE DEALER OPENS ON MARCH 22nd their computers will be ready to place spec orders. Otherwise, only pre-specced cars for them.
- Two demo Cooper S's, one DS, one EB, both loaded on March 22nd.
- In April, two more but these are for sale, one DS loaded, one EB with Auto Air and Fogs only
- In May, a few more pre specced S's with many of the first customer spec cars coming in before the end of the month.

It's also been confirmed that the only reason the S is coming in behind the Cooper introduction is because the suppliers of run-flat tires said they'd be able to handle the load, but since the Cooper and S both come with 16" run-flats, they're falling behind.

Take this with a gigantic grain of salt :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts