MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I am on my second S, current is a 05 plate and I am considering replacing but cannot take to the new model. Not sure why, spec looks good and the mpg will be a change from my current SC version, but I do not like the interior - big speedo does not look right, too OTT? Also I like the instant power from the SC - no need to keep it at high revs - it is always ready to go.

Anyway not many alternatives with similar package of power, handling, cost, reliability and style but have recently started looking at a 2nd hand Lotus Elise. Anybody gone from an Elise to a Mini. I would be looking at the more recent Toyota engined version, the 190bhp screamer R version if money permits.

I am aware of the drawbacks, reliability, no boot, noisy, difficult to drive(in the wet) etc but the performance looks very good. However not sure if I could live with it long term after 6-yrs with Minis.

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Get one with sat nav, its very expensive but it looks great:D. Im not a fan of the standard dash:(

A good friend of mine as a Lotus as his project car (2nd car), he calls the toyota engine soft, but then again hes got a Honda iVtec lump in his and its awaiting a supercharger:aargh:.

I couldnt live with a Lotus as my only car, as much as I do love them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you'll find that the seating is far too hard and you'll develop a numb bum after about half an hour. Stick with the mini if you want fun and a permanent grin. Performance is not everything apart from getting points on your licence!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also I like the instant power from the SC - no need to keep it at high revs - it is always ready to go.
You haven't driven an R56 S have you? It has a different character for sure but doesn't need to be kept at high revs at all, it has much more low end torque than the SC version and practically no turbo lag.

I do 60 miles a day in mine and chose it in part for the refinement and mpg improvements over the prev gen. For me the low end torque made it feel quicker in day to day driving.

If you can live with an Elise though I'd go for that! :D

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Ditto. :)

They are great - if you can afford it go for an exige then you can get a SC too... Then get a boring motorway cruiser (if one is needed) so you can realy enjoy it when your out in the Lotus... :)

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Just remember it is a LOTUS

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usualy
Serious

:D:D:D

A great car I would certainly consider a fairly new one

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Ditto. :)

They are great - if you can afford it go for an exige then you can get a SC too... Then get a boring motorway cruiser (if one is needed) so you can realy enjoy it when your out in the Lotus... :)
If you can afford it you can get a SC in an Elise too ;).

I think I would prob go for an old one about T reg and then put a Honda lump in it, some brembos. I would say it could be done for about £10k. Still it would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
iv had 2 GEN1 MCS's and my GEN2 MCS kicks both thier A$$ES. Bottom end is more powerful if anything. It picks up faster than the SC can and has little to no lag, thats the point of having a TWIN SCROLL TURBO and a VALVETRONIC LUMP.

LOTUS's are really great but noway do they come close to the standard of the MINI. Performance wise maybe but the fact that the MINI has everything you need under one hood theres no comparison.

TURBS

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I've though of an Elise as my next car but its partically, etc. Would be a good 2nd car.

in terms of comparing the 2 you can't, a FWD hot hatch against a RWD mid-engined 2 seater track car for the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i can chip in nicely here, as was going to get an s in september but changed my mind at the last minute and went for an elise - and havent regretted it for one second. as for the well-known lotus acronym posted earlier...thats old news. modern lotus's are no better or worse than most. and especially ironic considering that one of the reasons i ditched the s was because of the way above average % of problems that owners have suffered from with them.

but of course, there's also the drive. cooper s was great, but the elise is another couple of steps up.

no competition for me - ive not had one problem since driving the hell out of my lotus over the past few months, and would recommend it without hesitation :)

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
i can chip in nicely here, as was going to get an s in september but changed my mind at the last minute and went for an elise - and havent regretted it for one second. as for the well-known lotus acronym posted earlier...thats old news. modern lotus's are no better or worse than most. and especially ironic considering that one of the reasons i ditched the s was because of the way above average % of problems that owners have suffered from with them.

but of course, there's also the drive. cooper s was great, but the elise is another couple of steps up.

no competition for me - ive not had one problem since driving the hell out of my lotus over the past few months, and would recommend it without hesitation :)

Only as a 2nd car, quite fancy the the new SC, but it could only be a 2nd car.

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts

I fancy the the new SC, but it could only be a 2nd car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi folks thanks for the feedback.

I have not had a test drive in the Gen 2 S yet, still trying to work out what I really want from the car. The Gen 1 S's I have had have been great, fast, fun, practical(for a 2nd car) and reasonably reliable but I think I just feel like a change. The Lotus performance is stunning - but is it enough to make up for the obvious drawbacks.
I have a company car - a Vauxhall tractor (sorry Astra D) but Mini is used, 12k/an, some of this by the wife! I worry enough when she is in the Mini and winds up the boy racers never mind if she was in a Lotus - RWD, Highlands of Scotland, lots of power and a heavy right foot - bound to end in tears.

The comfort factor is an issue - long journeys in the Mini are just fun. You can cruise along making good time with no drama or you can clog it and have a blast. It is like having two different cars and I suspect the Lotus will demand to be driven flat chat - especially the crazy high rev version.

Anyway it is a nice problem to have and will keep me occupied over the next few months.

Cheers

Neil B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fiend, what Elise did you get? I am between a new Cooper S or a 2nd hand lotus. At the moment I am thinking the Elise R as I have read reports that the Elise S is a bit underpowered - especially at higher speeds? 0-60 on both are blinding but I am more interested in mid to higher speed pull, not that bothered about standing starts from lights.
I live in the Highlands of Scotland with some cracking B Class roads which the Mini loves but they are a bit bumpy - does your lotus deal with this type of terrain?
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

NeilB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You haven't driven an R56 S have you? It has a different character for sure but doesn't need to be kept at high revs at all, it has much more low end torque than the SC version and practically no turbo lag.

I do 60 miles a day in mine and chose it in part for the refinement and mpg improvements over the prev gen. For me the low end torque made it feel quicker in day to day driving.

kevkbuk - correct, not yet had a test drive. If I could get over the problem I have with the interior of the R56 I know it is the 'right' decision but 'right' is not always best!
Sensible and lots of fun Cooper S or stupid and CRAZY FUN Lotus!
Who am I trying to kid I want a lotus! I need a lotus! But will I regret it.

Cheers

Neil B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts