MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The July 04 build sat nav has the TMC traffic monitoring system built in (broadcast in the UK on classic FM). It is based on GPS telemetry on vehicles in the UK -eg Stobart trucks etc. and allows for reouting depending on traffic conditions, of course this system has been available on BMW's for some time but hitherto not on the mini-it requires twin tuners. It is also available on the Panasonic (or was it Pioneer ) unit shown on Top Gear a few weeks ago for £2000.The Sunday Times this week compares the BMW system against a number of other systems including Tom Tom type systems -and it did well.

So:
New 04 stereo has WMA, MP3 AND traffic rerouting on the Sat Nav and it matches the interior. FM it's begining to look like reasonable value! :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Is this from personal experience? Can't say I've seen it in brochures anywhere, and I'd be absolutely over the moon if it's true as I'm already sold on Nav (have it in my current Cooper), and the next car (now looking at 05 plate March) will have it. :)

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tmc

My car has TMC. When switched on TMC appears on sat nav screen next to outside temp display. As well as sat nav instruction booklet there is a supplementary booklet which basically describes the TMC system, so whilst I have not used it, it appears to be present....... :D

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
TMC in action

Enclosed
TMC menu
Radio tuned to classic FM. TMC on, but not receiving signal (red). Should go green
CD player playing (MP3 CD). TMC off (grey)
It looks like the sat nav does not update unless listening to classic fm but it's a start!
I'll test it planning a visit to mikey the mini in the next week or so. Travelling north west is a test of navigation and traffic jam avoidance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's awesome! I've always wanted TMC, but I've never done the research to determine if it's available in the US? Anyone know?

-mike

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
I had TMC on my M5 and found that it re-routed when there was no existing problem more often than it got it right :( - It seems to take some time for the info to get through and by that time you can have re-routed when the main route has already cleared - Great idea though and 'spose things might have improved

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Racer
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing