MINI Cooper Forum banner

When delivered did your MINIs steering pull?

• No. Its perfect.

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • Yes, pulls left, dealer is going to fix it.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Yes, pulls left, but dealer has now fixed it.Suspension replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, pulls left, dealer still can not fix it. Suspension replaced.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Yes, pulls left, dealer fixed it by adjustment only.

• Yes, pulls left, dealer fixed it by other means.

• Yes, pulls right.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This new Forum Software has enabled a proper poll to take place of steering "pull". Remember "pull" means an unacceptable steering fault. We do NOT mean "drifting" as is designed to happen on many cars including MINIs.

If your cars steering does pull to the left then please vote NOW.

We can always do another poll on the solution later if needed.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Seeing as though my car's now booked in to have it's suspension changed, I've amended my earlier vote of 'it's perfect' to 'dealer's going to fix it'. If there was an option for 'getting ticked off about this now' I'd have ticked that one too! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
drifts !

Not able to say whether it actually pulls, but yes it does drift to the left when driving hands free !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
hopefully mine will drift slightly to the kerb, like all German cars do (including the brand new 3-series I'm driving till i get my mini tomorrow)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Change of Vote

I think my vote now needs moving from "Pulls Left - Dealer will fix" to "Pulls Left - Dealer Unable to fix - Suspension Replaced".

Unfortunately.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I think this thread should be stuck at the top, because there ain't a more important topic.

LMB:D

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
LMB said:
I think this thread should be stuck at the top, because there ain't a more important topic.

LMB:D
This poll is referenced in the thread which I've stuck in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2287

The goal is to have owners vote in all 4 polls at the same time so they are kept in sync. I think it might be worthwhile to zero out all the polls in the beginning of next year and have all owners revote.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Re: Change of Vote

blak-hak said:
I think my vote now needs moving from "Pulls Left - Dealer will fix" to "Pulls Left - Dealer Unable to fix - Suspension Replaced".

Unfortunately.
Consider this done...mine too unfortunately..:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Change of Vote

blak-hak said:

Unfortunately.
Move me over too! Don't underestimate how serious this issue is.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
As a relatively new MINI2 member, I have now read up the posts on the pulling left issue. Boy, there are a lot of them!

It seems hard to believe BMW will let this drag on too long as it could cause serious safety risks if true & therefore massive costs to put right - Remember the Merc A-Class/Elk debacle?!

This would be particularly so in LHD markets where left pull would take car into oncoming traffic ...Not a good look, particularly in litigious USA

Whatever, I tend to think it will either get fixed or fizzle out before I get my Cooper S in Australia

However, if there is a real problem here, I am starting to wonder whether there is frantic re-engineering going on behind the scenes at BMW to fix it, and that this is what is driving the delays in delivery. (I have just been pushed back to July 02).
This might therefore cause timings to keep slipping and, whilst I would rather wait for a fully working car, there will come a point where I will have to bale... Probably couldn't wait longer than Dec 02

It's easy to speculate, but could BMW's entry into FWD have exposed some lack of technical know-how?

I am surprised, too, the press haven't made more of the issue

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
rich, is your dealer actually communicating with you re dates, etc.?

My dealer originally mentioned June/July when I ordered in Nov, but looking at other Aus posts it appears that delays may push that out to Oct/Nov. I'll wait.

I too am hoping that all of this will be resolved by the time my 'S' arrives, and perhaps the options list will be bigger and better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a result of the pulling left problem, I rejected my car today.

It definitely could not be fixed so I followed my legal advice. I felt it was unsafe and that it ruined the driving and ownership experience.

The dealer could not dispute the fact that the car has this fault, and in my opinion it was getting worse. I can't wait for months for a fix to appear, only to find that by then it is too late to reject the car should the fix turn out to be unsatisfactory.

Not sure whether to have another MINI or not, I'll drive my hire car for a few days and see how I feel! :(

·
Registered
888 Posts
SF - Sorry to hear you had to reject your MINI - sounds like you've done the right thing though.

How long did you have it and how many attempts did you let them have to fix it?

I'm completely unsure about mine, but your message makes me panic! On some roads its undetectable (eg 30mph in town, very very slight drift left) while on others its feels worse...

The car has an unlimited mileage warranty for 3 years which is why i've not worried much...i've also been too busy to worry about it...

Just after I got it (6 weeks) I drove it 1000 miles in a few days. On the M6, if I was reaching over for a can of coke or to grab a CD, I noticed that the car would move off-line on its own which i've never noticed happening before (I regularly drive all over the UK). At the time I thought it was me being careless and the car having sharp steering but... not sure now.

Dont suppose you're in Glasgow (saw your scottish flag on your profile) and would give me an opinion on mine would you??

I just dont know if i should be making a fuss, or if so, how big a fuss...

Dealer, when asked to look at it 2 weeks ago, said "its one of the better ones in fact".

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tell your dealer it is pulling left and you want it fixed. Simple.

There are lots of left pulling MINIs out there. The fault is so common that some dealers have beem known to miss out testing the wheel alignment and fit new front suspension as a first step. BMW technical say some cars will still be faulty even after the new suspension . A final fix will be a new front suspension that is due out in the spring. I have been told that BMW are, "frantically trying to solve the problem". I have been assured by my dealer that BMW will not abandon the left pull fault.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Apial said:
A final fix will be a new front suspension that is due out in the spring. I have been told that BMW are, "frantically trying to solve the problem". I have been assured by my dealer that BMW will not abandon the left pull fault.
...Gives me a bit more confidence my car ('S' to be built April/May hopefully) will be OK

BMW - We are all concerned about this issue. You make great drivers' cars & have fantastic engineering - That's why I like you, but we're all watching you on this one...

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Don't stop posting

rich said:

...Gives me a bit more confidence my car ('S' to be built April/May hopefully) will be OK

BMW - We are all concerned about this issue. You make great drivers' cars & have fantastic engineering - That's why I like you, but we're all watching you on this one...
I agree wholeheartedly, this post was a week or so ago, I know it's christmas, so hopefully soon everyone will be back on the subject. The Coopers should be available to drive in March (although I note, one magazine at least has been driving an Australian Spec Cooper in Victoria....we've paid money for these cars BMW - How about a bloody drive?) and an "S" in April. We shall see then first hand if there is still a problem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Can't vote! My car doesn't pull, but I would not say the steering is perfect. It drifts to the left. Where did the idea about all German cars drifting come from?

A) the Mini is not a German car, and
B) my last car, a VW Polo, nominally German (but built in Spain), did not drift left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts