MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had the knocking clutch noise sorted. The dealer replaced the clutch throw-out bearing, but not before I insisted they listen to it for a prolonged period of time. At first, they told me it was nothing, that they all sound like this. That it was my fault since I replaced the shift knob (I have the Whalen knob) and that was the problem because it weighs more than the original equipment.
I have an '02 MCS and know the clutch has a problem that has been reported here. If you have this noise, stand your ground. Make them fix it under warranty.
And thank you, MINI2.com for helping me know I was not alone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Flywheel

Steve1968:

Just a quick warning. Been dealing with this same exact issue now for almost 4 months. Dealer replaced my entire transmission and clutch release bearing (aka throw-out bearing) 3 months ago after I kept complaining.

Picked the car up only to hear the exact same rattling sound when in neutral, with clutch released. Thing sounds like a tractor.

After many hours of my own research, and having Randy Webb (of Webb Motorsports fame) go for a ride - I have confidently decided that the sound is coming from the dual mass flywheel rattling.

If you know anyone that has installed the lightened/racing flywheel - they have a similar sound, but much louder. It is to be expected with the lightened flywheel.

So here is the deal: the sound is quite obnoxious, but does not pose any real problem/threat to the long-term operation of the car.

With that said, I am still pushing on my dealer for a new flywheel. If I was going to pay $25K for a vehicle with this kind of rattle at idle, I could have bought a John Deere! Plus, it is not normal, as most MINI owners do NOT have this sound to deal with.

My two cents . . .

NTHUSIAST

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throw-out bearing update

After the dealer kept my car for three days, they decided it was NOT the throw out bearing. The noise I was hearing as "typical" of the sound a MINI makes after it has been broken in. So I'm back to square one with an annoying noise. There always seem to be an excuse, doesn't there. Of course, the car is "broken in." It's an '02 with 23,000 miles on the clock. I did make sure I have documentation about the noise.
:confused:

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
Mine is making a new noise but haven't found any one with the same noise. What happens is when the car is cold and starting out in first gear you hear a metallic " Whoop" and a vibration coming through the stick. It doesn't do it in the other gears and there is no clutch sliping. It does not do it in reverse. With the car off I can push in on the clutch peadl and move the stick around and no noise. It has to be the clutch or throw out bearing. It is a '04 MCS with 11,000 miles. any ideas?
Tavis1 :red:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mcs

Mine is a Cooper S.

Not sure if the Cooper uses the same dual mass flywheel.

Anybody know?

I'm going back to the dealer on Tuesday morning for a laundry list of repairs:
2 dash rattles
Passenger side pillar rattle
Boot release acting up (refusing to operate, then clicking open on it's own 5 minutes later)
Radio Head Unit loosing rows of pixels when cold out
Reverse light gone (not burned out either, as I changed the bulb)
Flywheel rattle

I'll let you know if I convince them to replace the flywheel.

They did say I could take a 330 coupe as my loaner!

We'll see . . . . . .

NTHUSIAST

·
Registered
88 Posts
NTHUSIAST said:
Mine is a Cooper S.

Not sure if the Cooper uses the same dual mass flywheel.

Anybody know?

I'm going back to the dealer on Tuesday morning for a laundry list of repairs:
2 dash rattles
Passenger side pillar rattle
Boot release acting up (refusing to operate, then clicking open on it's own 5 minutes later)
Radio Head Unit loosing rows of pixels when cold out
Reverse light gone (not burned out either, as I changed the bulb)
Flywheel rattle

I'll let you know if I convince them to replace the flywheel.

They did say I could take a 330 coupe as my loaner!

We'll see . . . . . .

NTHUSIAST
Yeah let us know how you get on, i am interested in how you get on with the rattle issue, currently got the same problem. I am trying to get as much information as possible so maybe i can help my dealer assess the problem, most similar threads have ended with the dealer replacing the clutch and/or gearbox with varying success. Flywheel option seems less common, if you have any information on the flywheel issue that would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, are you in the UK?

Anyway enjoy the 330!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dropped the car off, this morning. Haven't heard anything from dealer yet this afternoon.

I live in the US (near Chicago, Illinois).

As for some additional info that might help you out . . .

I talked to a fellow (his name on the site is G2 - S) that had his flywheel replaced in the UK. Said it completely cured the problem. He took his MCS to John Clark BMW in Aberdeen - (+44) 01224 335577

Hope that helps out.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.