MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im buying the wife a Mini Cooper Diesel and was wondering what they are like to live with, we need to go with a diesel due to the amount of motorway mileage.
With all cars there are common faults and things to look for so thats why ive turned to the experts ::smile::

Any advice/tips/pointers/common issues please fire away.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not mechanically inclined enough to go into all the separate details but I suggest there's probably a good reason why Mini Coopers are rated in the bottom half of all cars when it comes to reliability. As much as I love my Mini I wouldn't own one that didn't have a new car warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I inherited a 06 mini from my bro...it is a BLAST to drive, but already it has had costly issues and it had these at 20k...if you read through the postings, it is NOT a cheap car to keep. The parts are iffy, but BMW won't stand behind them. I am now at 34k and it needed all new brakes...again, pricey. Everything done to that car seems to start at $500 and goes up. If I had paid the sticker and then had to fork out all this $$$ for a vehicle under 50K, I would have been livid...they just are an upkeep vehicle...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just to balance the argument...
They're not as bad as people would have you believe. Spend some time looking through the forum and you should get a feel for common issues. Properly serviced, maintained and not abused they're no worse than most other cars.
I'm not knocking other people's penchant for warranties, some like the (perceived) peace of mind. In my experience, most aren't worth the cost and I prefer to self underwrite mine. I do my own maintenance, I know what gets done (and how) which gives me all the peace of mind I need.

Spares prices are no worse than most other cars provided you stay away from the main dealers. Service items can be had from alternative sources for half the cost of dealer prices with no need to compromise on quality. I recently replaced my brakes, front and rear, for no more than it would have cost on either of my other cars.

Do some research, there are significant differences between model years. Work out what you need from the car and what fits in your budget. Don't buy the first car you come across and bear in mind that buying any used car is a bit of a lottery.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Have to agree with roadhog here. I bought my wife a 2009 Cooper D Clubman just over a year ago and haven't had an bit of bother with it. The car had just turned on to 20,000 miles when we drove it out the dealership and now its about to turn on to 40,000.

In the time we have had it I've serviced it twice and the dealer has serviced it once. All I've replaced in my ownership is the rear disks and pads and rear arb bushes. Like roadhog I self underwrite my car and carry out all maintenance myself. Any car that's regularly maintained will be reliable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys cheers for the replies, ive seen one advertised a mini cooper d with 40k on the clock but no service history, is this retrievable from the main dealer if its been there for repairs/services?

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
rufiomini
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing