MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just put on 2 new tyres at the front of my 2003 MCS with run flats.

I drove home and today 10 mins into my journey, the run flat light came on in the dash.

I got out, tested the tyres (all pressures were fine) and turned the light out with the button next to the handbreak. The light never came on again - did it just come on because the tyres had been changed and the pressure was slightly different?

Any help appreciated

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So all I need to do is hold the button when the light comes on? (which is what I've done already)

Thanks very much for the help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
no you need to go through the internal computer. instructions are in the manual... all you have done is temporarily removed the message.. off the top of my head its press the indicator button in until you see set. and then runflat indicator icon and then reset i think(?)

·
Registered
49 Posts
found it in emanual :

1. Start the engine, but do not start driving.

2. Briefly press the button in the turn indicator lever repeatedly until "SET/INFO" is displayed.

3. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

4. Briefly press the button repeatedly until the corresponding symbol(runflat symbol) and "RESET" are displayed.

5. Press and hold the button until the display changes.

6. Start driving.
Initialization is completed while the car is on
the move, without any feedback.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I think those instructions are for the R55/R56 Minis. The older Mini had a switch next to the handbrake lever, which needs pressing.
If I remember correctly. Of course I could be wrong.

·
Fanatically Enthiusiastic
1,176 Posts
danny - you just need to press the reset button in front of the handbrake for about 10 secs with the car running, then go for a short drive. When you turn off the car and then restart it the light will have gone out.
The TPM works off of the ABS sensor, and monitors the rotational speed of the wheels. If you lose 30% or more pressure in a tyre it will trigger the warning light. This happens because the under inflated tyre will now be rotating faster than it did with higher pressure and the monitor notices the variance.
Always check the tyre pressures if the light comes on, however, because if you assume that it is lit because, for example, you just put air in the tyres and you reset the TPM, the car will now take whatever pressure is in the tyre as the new standard, even if it is completely flat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts