MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then folks, I need your HELP!!!
Im going state side on Tuesday 7th Jan until 15th & will be going to New York :D :D :D
I need your help in places to visit & the places that really arent worth it. I've drawn up the usual list of places to visit, but remember I only have 1 week to cram it all in:( :(
So where should I go:confused:

Also places to eat would be good :D :D :D

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
Firstly check out www.NewYork.com - I found that useful when I went.

And secondly, I enjoyed my meals in the Triomphe Restaurant. Now sure if it's on NewYork.com or not, but I seem to remember it's on 44th Street. Not sure if that's near any landmarks or not - Maybe some NY Friends can answer? :)

There's the first pointer anyway. Have a good trip smiffy

:)

Oh, and do me a favour if you can and get some decent photos of the Statue of Liberty and/or the Flat Iron Building. I've been needing some for a website for a while but can't find any decent images. :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome!!!

I am your local New Yorker.
What part of town are you staying in?
Definitely go to:
1) Ground Zero.
2) New York Stock Exchange.
3) Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty.
4) Soho and Grenich Village.
- These are all downtown and maybe done in one day/nite.
5) Central Park
6) Times Square
7) Empire State Building
8) Rockefeller Center
9) Do some museums on a nasty day.
10) See a show or two.
11) Circle Line boat tour?
As for food, what do you like / or more importantly, how much do you like to spend on food.

If you want more details let me know.
I'd be happy to help where I can.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im staying at the Comfort Inn Manhattan, its on 34th street I think :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Rent a cool car. Preferably something loud and fast. Study a map, before you arrive. Then, at 4:25 am on a Sunday. Go out and thrash the streets of the City! It may not be the most cultured way to experience good old NYC, but, you will see it in a way few do. Sun coming up over the buildings and churches, no one on the streets. And so long as you are not weaving all over the place, the local bobbies will leave you be. Start at the Lincoln Tunnel and work your way east. When you run out of east, bang a left. After that, your on your own. Be careful not to end-up in Harlem! :cool:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoolin' said:
Rent a cool car. Preferably something loud and fast. Study a map, before you arrive. Then, at 4:25 am on a Sunday. Go out and thrash the streets of the City! It may not be the most cultured way to experience good old NYC, but, you will see it in a way few do. Sun coming up over the buildings and churches, no one on the streets. And so long as you are not weaving all over the place, the local bobbies will leave you be. Start at the Lincoln Tunnel and work your way east. When you run out of east, bang a left. After that, your on your own. Be careful not to end-up in Harlem! :cool:
Fast & Furious style :confused: :confused:

Slight problem, im only 19! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Take a cab! Hell, the ride will be that same any way. Tell him to take you to the airport! :D :D :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure about pricing, and I know it is short notice, but check out "Swissotel New York" 212.421.0900.
I stayed there last year. It is an excelent location! A block from Madison Ave., blocks to Central Park. Very cool area. Very nice hotel! (All the hotels in NYC must be dying for business) Check out www.sidewalk.com
Also when in town as for "Spend your regards to Broadway", something about free show tickets!
For great Pizza... John's Brick Oven Pizza (preferrably the location in the Village on Bleeker!)
For a steak experience(but expensive) try Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.
I'll send more as I think about it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
coopercrazy said:
For great Pizza... John's Brick Oven Pizza (preferrably the location in the Village on Bleeker!)
For a steak experience(but expensive) try Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.
I second what coopercrazy said in regards to pizza and steak, those are the best places around! :D

If you are into sushi, there are some great places around the soho and greenwich village area. Also, do visit BMW of Manhattan to see whether they have the Cooper on display :confused: :rolleyes:

My suggestion is to walk around the downtown area (and the rest of Manhattan for that matter) as you get to see and notice more than just taking one of those bus tours. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, definitely just walk around and see the city for what it is. Stay away from ripoff electronic stores, especially on 5th Ave. And you must go on at least one subway ride.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry Smiff, I must have missed that you are 19.
I'm kinda old at 32, but I can find some cool things for you to do.
Are you coming w/ friends or w/ girl friend?
And what are you doing w/ the Mini during your trip?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im travelling with my sister, & the MINI is still on order :) :) :)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Spoolin' said:
Rent a cool car. Preferably something loud and fast. Study a map, before you arrive. Then, at 4:25 am on a Sunday. Go out and thrash the streets of the City!
Spoolin'. It wasn't you who ran over a certain Mr Clinton's dog in N.Y. was it? :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Now, now! Don't get that rumor started! ;)

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
Well if you're into architecture, the guggenheim museum on fifth avenue (in the eighties I think) is definitely worth a visit for the building as much as anything. A good way to see the statue of liberty is on the statton island ferry as it sails past it and doesn't cost a thing - I didn't bother trying to go to Liberty Island in the summer, not worth the queueing!!!

Jon

Ps to Jon Blakeburn, I have a couple of pictures of the flatiron building in black and white from my trip in the summer if you needed them just email me. I have statue of liberty pictures as well but as they are from the Statton Island Ferry the are a little more distant than you may want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts