MINI Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Thanks Mike, I couldn't say about the added sealer as I didn't do it. Is sump a common leak ?
they all leak a it over the years vac pump very common, oil pressure switch, rocker cover and the breather pipe from pcv valve to bottom on inlet manifold, bottom crank seals around 100k pressure wash it off and run it for a a few hour see what comes back. or better still add some ultra violent dye in the old oil and use a light to find the shiny leaks best way

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Well the dyes a new one on me Mike. Def worth a go.

Where is the oil switch situated?
its under the vac pump on side of cylinder head passengers side of engine , the dye works well best in the dark with ultra violet light shows up well

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Ok Mike, I brought the Granville Rtv you suggested, I'm changing the sump seal tommoro. A question though, as the instructions are misleading.

When I have applied the bead, do I refit the sump straight away? And do I apply the sump and the block or just one surface?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well as Mike hadn't seen the post I let the Rtv Sit for 5 mins and then assembled.

The lad needs to use the car at 5pm so hopefully that's long enough for it to set up.
Also fitted a good used Jcw exhaust at the same time. Hopefully will sound a little meatier. He wants more pops and bangs on the overun, if this will make a difference is yet to be seen.

The sump was cleaner inside than any I've seen before. And no old bits of cam chain guide either.

Just the rest of these pesky oil leaks to track down now. The one on the rear seems to be right above the starter solenoid, but what's actually above it in that position that could leak oil I cant see.

I did reseal the corners of the rocker gasket as well today but it's not leaking from there

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
sorry was not ignoring you just been trying to get head around this new site layout after a few years of it being one way and over 4000 posts its going to take while, as for o-ring size i dont know i tend to use a light coating of well seal link below need a vernia to measure the groove it sits in and humt for a oil seal to fit thats only way, links below for etc.
wellseal
o ring kit below might have a bigger enough size would need to check

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Thanks Mike I guessed you were struggling with the new site.
not totally sold on it yet to be honest but chipping away at it, like anything new just got to give it time see if it fits over time, afraid people will just have to bare with me when asking me stuff as i'm still going around in circles with it

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Today in pursuit of my oil leaks, of which I'm still none the wiser.

I removed the charge pipe and the breather elbow broke off. Either its glued at the factory or someone's broke and glued it before. I've bonded it back on but clearly I need to sort it.
It's this bit

Attachments

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
that part of breather pcv system small pipe that broke and is bonded on, i've re bonded them before with tiger seal ie bonds panels and can even be used for windscreens, i could write a book on how many things tiger seal will bond even used it on engine mounts to remove to much engine shunt when have had cars with big maps in them works a treat but needs to 24 hours to set totally but when totally set its never coming off link below for a idea,
black one below the do grey and white as well,, i have even used it as the seal for our household bath to wall 10 years ago and its still like new, will even repair a hole in radiator as long as get it clean and dry first ie use a heat gun on area first as a temp until correct repair, that said i know of a few cars a few years later and they still dont want to bring back for a radiator as still dont leak. bodgers the badgers dream glue ha ha

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

I'm thinking of changing it for something like this. It's not a bad idea is it?
black is right colour for go and any other colour is show thats the rule of thumb when changing stuff, that said thats a low pressure pipe just feeds turbo inlet side on compressor ie turbo, on later cars or cars that are exported to very cold country's there is a heater on the small pipe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So this is n.14. Mines N.18.
Is there anything in this pic that could be the source of my oil leak. I've checked the vacuum pump which is dry, the rocker box also. I couldn't actually see the oil pressure switch which I was expecting to see adjacent to the vacuum pump. Where's it located also please
Screenshot_2019-08-05-13-06-07-144_com.google.android.youtube.png

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
4 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing