MINI Cooper Forum banner

Newbie ...Aspire to do the "one lap of america"

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Boondox 
#1 ·
Hi,

I would LOVE to do the "One Lap of America" , Cannonball Run week long road-track rallye

Problem is:

1. I have never done a track event -? Where do I start, schools? Which ones?
2. Not sure what it would require for the car to be prepped?
3. Not sure how one does these...?No sleep? Sleep in Car?
4. I don't like to beg for money? How much total would it require?

Phil in Cincinnati, Ohio

05 MCS. ..Mods are JCW Air Box, soon to be Webb equipped Pulley, UniChip, Pirelli PZero-Nero 215-45-17 on lighter rims

#2 ·
RED RAGE said:
Hi,

I would LOVE to do the "One Lap of America" , Cannonball Run week long road-track rallye

Problem is:

1. I have never done a track event -? Where do I start, schools? Which ones?
2. Not sure what it would require for the car to be prepped?
3. Not sure how one does these...?No sleep? Sleep in Car?
4. I don't like to beg for money? How much total would it require?

Phil in Cincinnati, Ohio

05 MCS. ..Mods are JCW Air Box, soon to be Webb equipped Pulley, UniChip, Pirelli PZero-Nero 215-45-17 on lighter rims
PM NearlyNN.
He was a newb and ended up doing very well in the OLOA.
Check this link Very cool

#3 ·
Vey Cool Link Indeed !!! Very well prepped car too :D

I am also interested in the nitty gritty details, day to day concerns, ?hassles?, costs

#5 ·
So you wanna do OLOA????
Qurestion # 1: To win or to have fun???

Lets say HAVE FUN.......

Question # 2: Got a car? Yes = do not touch it.
No= get one and do not touch it.

Question # 3 Got a buddy or significant other willing to put up with the length of the event and YOU in the same car? Yes= good
No= get one (you can touch if you like/want)

Costs: 10 tires you will need to buy from the sponsor (Tire Rack) call it $2000.00, 4 extra wheels 600 (used or cheapos)
Lodging/eating/gas: figure 150 a day.......1500.00
Entry fee will run you 500.00

IF you do not bend it nor get a tkt (pointless anyways, the speed portions of the event are only on tracks) you could do it for call it $4500.00 and you may get a half decent set left over.

NOT to mention you want to learn how to drive so off you go to Jim Russell, Bondurant, Mid Ohio School...any number or road racing or solo schools which will get you well underway (remeber the answer to question number 1) for about 1000 for a road racing school (their car) or 300-500 for a solo school.......
One lap of America has a web site (google it). $25.00 bucks gets you in to see the nitty gritty details of the event and comes off your entry.....
Hope this helps.....

#6 ·
pocketrocketowner said:
So you wanna do OLOA????
Qurestion # 1: To win or to have fun???

Lets say HAVE FUN.......

Question # 2: Got a car? Yes = do not touch it.
No= get one and do not touch it.

Question # 3 Got a buddy or significant other willing to put up with the length of the event and YOU in the same car? Yes= good
No= get one (you can touch if you like/want)

Costs: 10 tires you will need to buy from the sponsor (Tire Rack) call it $2000.00, 4 extra wheels 600 (used or cheapos)
Lodging/eating/gas: figure 150 a day.......1500.00
Entry fee will run you 500.00

IF you do not bend it nor get a tkt (pointless anyways, the speed portions of the event are only on tracks) you could do it for call it $4500.00 and you may get a half decent set left over.

NOT to mention you want to learn how to drive so off you go to Jim Russell, Bondurant, Mid Ohio School...any number or road racing or solo schools which will get you well underway (remeber the answer to question number 1) for about 1000 for a road racing school (their car) or 300-500 for a solo school.......
One lap of America has a web site (google it). $25.00 bucks gets you in to see the nitty gritty details of the event and comes off your entry.....
Hope this helps.....
FUN it is, with a competitive side too ...LOL :D :cool: :p

Thanks for the info, 6 tires would be plenty IMO, the car does need some additions too IMO, brakes, handling, HP

Phil :red:

#8 ·
Upgraded: 2005 MCS

1. Big Brakes Wilwood, ATE Blue fluid
2. Kosei 17x7 k1 TS wheels (14.1lbs), S 03 tires 215-40-17
3. 15% Alta Pulley
4. JCW Air Box
5. Plugs, Wires, Redline Oil
6. H-Sport Rear Sway Bar
7. Alta Intercooler Air Diverter
8. Scroth Harnesses

Now I will be TRACKING, Schooling, and LEARNING :D

Mid-Ohio on April 1st
BeaverRun on April2nd and 3rd
OneLap of America on April 31st-May 7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.