MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I am new to this forum. My daughter purchased a 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman S as her first car, she learned to drive on it and has been driving it for about two years now, pretty reliable and trouble free.

Recently, she has been getting the error message "Increased Battery Discharge", and she needed a jump start after work the other day.

So, thinking that it was the battery, I put it on a smart charger over night, and she still got the same message the next day. I have not tested the battery voltage yet, but I am sure that it's just that the battery is at the end, 5 years old.

So, I have a couple of questions. I read that with BMW's, you have to register a new battery in the cars computer system. Is that the same with the Mini? When you do the swap, is it OK to completely disconnect the terminals, or do you need to keep some power connected from a jump battery to avoid loosing all of the settings? It used to be that swapping out a battery was one of the easiest things to do, but with these newfangled cars 馃榾

Registered
You can swap the battery without coding it to the car but as the car thinks it still has a failing battery it'll be putting the power out at wrong currents. By coding a new battery the car then knows it has a fresh battery and sends power as the factory programmed it and you'll find the battery will last longer.

There's no worry about losing the ECU settings with the battery totally disconnected, you might lose certain settings (radio stations, clock, etc) if it's disconnected for a while but those are easy to reset

The lifetime of a battery these days is 3-5 years on average so you've had a good run with yours at 5 years old, check the voltage with the engine running as well just to make sure it is the battery and not the alternator

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the battery yesterday, and after driving for 20 min it was at 12.26v, so thats in new battery range for sure. Checked for a parasitic drain and it dropped down of 0.4a after a couple of minutes, so thats within the range. I have not checked the voltage while running.

So, how do I code the battery? I have a universal code reader, can I do it with that or do I need to go to the dealer?

Registered
Changed the AGM battery on a 1 series BMW yesterday. Coded the battery to the car using Autocom Cdp+ (search for it here and you'll find lots of links to it) the only thing needing to be reset was the clock.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So, to provide an update. Put in the new battery, battery shop plugged it in to code the battery, and the message came up that this model doesnt need to be coded. Voltage now at 13.8 while running, so all good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts