MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Has anybody bought the above (complete, front speakers, a-pillars, rear speakers and amp) kit and fitted it themselves?? If so, how was the install?? Is there an online guide so that I can try and work out whether I'm up to the job or not?

Cheers,
F

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
I left it to mikey. Altough well versed in the trade I did not have the time. It takes mikey +1 a full day to do the install. So if you are going to go it alone be very sure you are up for the job.

I must say the sound is superb and you won't regret it wich ever way you choose to do it...

WD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIY Audio Upgrade

Well after a bit of a think, I decided to go for it and ordered the full upgrade!!

Went for the works with Kenwood 600W amp, Clarion 400W component front speakers with crossovers (tweeters in the A-pillars option) and the Kenwood 300W 6x9's.

The project was indeed a bit of a challenge but I got there in the end with the manual provided and some excellent telephone support from NewMiniStuff!!

The install went fine, the only snags that I came across were that access to the grommet coming from behind the battery is limited as I have the 'auto stop/start' function which means a bigger battery, so the panel above the battery had to come off. I also had a tweeter cable that had come loose from the crossover and when I had connected the wiring loom adaptor to the back of the stereo a little bit of insulation had come loose from the car's loom and insulated the connection to one of the front speakers (what are the chances!!) so it was dash off time again to fix that!! I think I could take an R56 dash apart with my eyes closed now ;)

I'd seriously recommend the trim tools and you need a Torx T50 bit to take the seatbelt bolts out, and a T40 for the seats - largest which I had was a T30 - these also need to be socket set bits so I just went to Screwfix and got a kit for £17.

On to the quality, as suggested by Mike I siliconed the speakers in and used plenty of the included sound deadening and it sounds FANTASTIC! :aargh: It's literally night and day compared to the stock rubbish.

Very, very pleased now :smile:

Happy to answer any questions if anyone else is thinking of taking the plunge!

Cheers,
fjarvis :biggrin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you swap the front / rear channels over? I am tempted to do that but I heard that the telephone comes out the back which I wouldn't like much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you swap the front / rear channels over? I am tempted to do that but I heard that the telephone comes out the back which I wouldn't like much!
Hi, No the new harness splits the front output to the front and rear inputs on the amplifier so the telephone comes out of the front and rear. The advantage is more bass to both the front and rear speakers :)

F

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The way the amp can be wired varies depending on spec of the car now - factors needed
Factory bluetooth?
USB?
Parking sensors?
Factory hifi?

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I would just use the front outputs from your stereo to give signal to front & rear sections of the amp. Phone would come fromall speakers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts