MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After a discussion with the lady yesterday and reading how much a used mini is a good buy in the new "test drive" mag I have decided to seriously think about buying a MCs.

This is quite a big leap of faith for me.

I am typical VW nutt, I have owned a MK2 golf (first car) then a MK4 polo then a MK4 Golf GTI. Love the GTI to bits, but I am finding it slightly dull as time moves on. I have had it for a year and a half, wonderful car but my mind is beggining to wonder.

The natural progression for me is to save for the new GTI which will be out in Jan, no doubt will be ace, but 19,995k for the basic version is a JOKE!

I am 23 years old and will be 24 in feb, I have 6 years NCB with 3 points. So my first question is, what will the insurance be like? I am paying 550 for a V plate GTI.

Most of you reading this will have a MCs so I would love to hear your thoughts! I always thought I would stay in the VAG range, but as you can see I am tempted!

A girl at work say a dark silver MCs, I have been a passenger in it and was very impressed, but not driven one yet. That I intend to do on a test drive in a few months.

I do a trip from Cambs to Norwich or Oxford most weekends and only a 15 mile trip to work, so I think I could get away with a supercharged 1.6 :) :) :D

Anyway, here is my car as it is (you can guess that I would want a TOTALLY black MCs already cant you!)

Has anyone made the VW - BMW switch? *shudder! :black:

Sorry about the vague topic, but I would love to hear ANY views from you guys and please to dissing the GTI! :)

- looking to pay around 12k in 4-5 months

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Hello & welcome, Oxford. :cool:

You're in the right place & looking at a MCS exchange at the right time.
I say selling your GTI sooner than later may net you more. The closer it gets to the release of the new GTI, the lower demand will be for the current version. Maybe it's negligible.... It's hard to offer realistic positions/asides from this side of the pond, so I'll be brief. ;)

You'll find a generous & loyal MINI following, keeping your interest in mods, etc. (ala VW loyalists, - or, no, how do you call them, - "tossers?"). Just kidding, Ox! :D Really!
==> You'll find more folks being supportive here, rather than "dissing."

The MINI Difference: wonderful engineering assembled in ol' Blighty [superb for your GNP] & offers 5 Star Residual & Safety values.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to have a VW GTI myself and was planning on obtaining an R32. I had researched the Mini but decided I wanted to stay with VW. But then VW kept delaying and delaying and delaying the release of the R32 to the US market. Meanwhile, my high mileage GTI was starting to show its age. So, I went back to Mini and haven't looked back and wished I had got it sooner than I had.

Go for it, you won't be sorry :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your kind words Belly!

It is uplifting to hear from you.

I think you are 100% correct in your assumption about the new GTI, my car will only loose more and more money.

So far I have been very impressed with the "buzz" going on here, I am a member of a MK4 golf forum and find the same there, but not quite in the same way, seems to be a different type of person and as you can imagine the GTI does get some following also, but perhaps a different time.

I think it is time for a change, and a change to something querky!

Mods mods mods, been there with the GTI already, all OEM or near as possible, does restore your faith, but there seems to be more that can be changed with the MINI.

You really have got me thinking and thanks for welcoming me.

I used to live very close to the rover plant where they now make the mini, I will let you know more about that soon because now I must eat! :p

·
Registered
507 Posts
I made the switch from a 1996 VW Polo (75 bhp) to a 2000 BMW 316i compact (105 bhp). I wanted a new Polo GTI (125 bhp) at the time, but that wasn´t available. So as a traditional BMW nut the step was quite logical. The 316i didn´t offer that much more power (especially considering the weight), but the whole car was so much more inspiring. Volkswagens are always superbly built with high quality and good ergonomics, but they lack the driver involvment and passion of many other cars including the MINI. The GTI legend has been softened with every generation and on the MKIV Golf it wasn´t more than a badge on the boot. But Volkswagen seems to be trying to make the turnaround to an appropriately powered car that offers a sharpened ride.

I don´t know the price competetition in the UK but from the Euro figures the new GTI seems to be quite aggressively priced. It is one class above the MCS, more powerful and better equipped. I don´t think the MKV will be as inspiring and emotional as the MCS, but it will probably be a tougher competition than any Golf of the last years.

Klaus

·
Feel the G's
122 Posts
hey Oxford,

I would definetly advise hanging off on the test drive until you are ready to buy cos I have had two test drives in Minis and I've bought two Minis! Both were ordered within half an hour of the test drive. I've never owned a VW Golf yet, but I'm actually looking for a Mk1 Gti to have as a second car at the moment. Anyway, before the Mini I had loads of cars from VX Novas to Alfa 147 but the Mini beats them all.
I've currently got an S, which gets never less than 30mpg and I dont spare it, but it is good on fuel if your sensible, using Shell Optimax also helps.
All Black is the stuff of dreams, check out both the Minis I've had

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought my first VW in 1973, and have owned at least one constantly since then. Right now I have a 98 New Beetle, 2001 Passat V6 4-Motion, and a 1961 Beetle Convertible. I LOVE VW's. My new car is a 2005 MCS. I see no problem here. Cars are not like women - you can love two of them at the same time and get away with it!

The VW's like the R32 are great, but they are not really competitors of the MCS. Too expensive, too heavy, and too plain looking. You don't want that in a car or a woman.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, really like the vibe I am getting here, just also checked my email and some people have emailed me regarding this topic! *pretty stunned tbh!

Your right not to know the VW, but I cant help feeling that the mini has been staring me in the face for so long but I have been blind not to see it!

-jonkudla-

I did not see your post at the start! you were in a very similar position to me! I would be interested in an R32 or GTI anni, but feel I would be going over old ground. I need to check out the MCs as soon as possible. - Like yours my GTI has done its miles 122,000 miles! - still looks ace which is all credit to VW.

-KlausR-

Great to hear from a German res, I would not think about buying anything else and the thought of the mix of german engineering and british history is something very unique!

-scottybhoy-

*drool at the pictures mate! The first one (on the left) is EXACTLY what I am after, simple and sleek. Great. I am thinking of a test drive next week in Norwich with the lady, just so I can see for myself. No doubt I will be ringing AA financail services soon after - could be TOO tempting. - I dont think I will have too much trouble shifting the GTI, its been a fantastic car for me.

-JoeDentist-

Too expensive, too heavy, and too plain looking. You don't want that in a car or a woman.
- LOL, classic quote! it is sad but very true.

Thanks for all your comments guys, you have all made me smile tonight.

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
For what this is worth! I am coming from a Honda background, such as you are with VWs. This is an interesting jump for me as well as Hondas are all I know! ('83 Civic S, '86 Civic Si, '90 CRX Si, '90 Civic Si, '91 Civic Si) From what I have read, test driven, and riden with (friends), the MINI is the car for me.
While I must admit, the MINI would have more competition if Honda produced something as fun and agile, but they currently do not do so for the US market. The US market Civic Si looks like a scaled down minivan. I would like to see them produce something smaller, quicker, and more agile. I suspect the MINI will shred the US Civic SI in every aspect of performance. Therefore, I am going with the MINI. In about three weeks time, I will know if I made the right decision. But I after reading these threads, so many people cannot be wrong!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to hear from someone that has made the switch from another car type...

I think we can sterotype to one manufacturer far to easily! - and tthus become slighty narrow minded!

I am sure you will love your new car! - keep it all waxed up :)

Let us know when it arrives.

What colour did you go for out of interest?

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
I had a branc new VW Beetle in Sept 2000 with teh 2.0 engine and I lvoed that car. Was insistent I wouldn't buy a mini when friends who worked at the local delaer tried to get me on the waiting list. Eventually in Nov 2002 I put my order in for my MC which I collected in March 2003. I went for the MC as it was lower MPG and insurance group than the VW but as soon as I test drove one I knew I had to ahve one! I loved the Beetle but it isn't a patch on the Mini, so much so I have an order in now for an MCs which I am collecting in March 2005! Not driven a golf GTI but the Mini is very much a drivers car and this is something that the Beetle very much lacked.

julesx

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey!

Good luck with your delivery!

The 2.0 is the same engine as in my GTI, it is the non turbo version with only 115 horses. I really think the MCs will bring a smile to my face!

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
I went from a 1.8T A3 (W plate) to the MCS, other half currently has a Mk IV Golf 1.6 (53 plate). The main difference I found was refinement and space.

The MCS is a less refined car than either of the VAG cars, but in a friendly sort of way (if that makes sense). The Golf and the A3 both get you up to speed with little bother and fairy quickly. The MCS gets you there faster, but it also seems to tell you that's what it's doing - engine and supercharger noise are quite prominent, but in a good way.

The car itself if a much more involving and perhaps interesting drive. The interior is bright and fresh (compare to the acres of black plastic in the golf). The MCS also handles much better that with the A3 or the Golf.

In terms of space you can forget it with the MCS. with the back seats down the space is about the same as the Golf's boot. Basically if you need to carry more than two people (or a lot of stuff) the Mini isn't the best.

In terms of overall opinion I really like the MK IV Golf, but the MCS is much more of a fun car - it's more brash and assertive. Plus the difference between the 1.8T and the Mini is massive, so between the 2 litre and the Mini will be phenominal.

In terms of insurance, get some quotes first - the MCS isn't cheap if you're young. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
-Grings-

So you made the VAG to MINI leap too, seems a lot do it, which is encouraging for me.

I think I am going to be shocked when I drive one, and I am sure that will be enough to make my mind up! I am going to have to wait 4-5 months though, but knowing me I am terrible with things like this!

Space is the only real issue I see, but I hardly use it all on the golf and dont need the 5 doors that I have! Does anyone know if it will manage to store an ice hockey bag and stick? thats the only regular large thing I need to carry, and will it be able to carry a bike in the back with its wheels off? - or would that go on the boot?

Sometimes I have 3 passengers, but not that often!

·
Registered
33 Posts
switcher

i made the switch, too. from a 2001 vr6 to the MCS. i actually had both for a short period of time, and the MINI makes the VW look like a giant marshmallow. the shifting was vague and rubbery in the VW, precise in the MINI. the handling goes without mentioning. gas mileage. interior space (or the illusion of it - you'll be surprised how large the MINI feels with all that glass!). ease of parking (I live in a city and parking is at a premium). everything i loved about the VW has been executed more professionally in the MINI. i honestly felt disconnected from the road in the VW - it felt more and more like an Audi. i'm thrilled with the switch, and have never, even for a second, missed the VW.

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
oxford said:
Nice to hear from someone that has made the switch from another car type...

I think we can sterotype to one manufacturer far to easily! - and tthus become slighty narrow minded!

I am sure you will love your new car! - keep it all waxed up :)

Let us know when it arrives.

What colour did you go for out of interest?
I agree about becoming narrow minded! Change is good!

I decided on the LY/B with Black Bonnet Stripes as you can see below. Since I like Yellow, and not too many MINIs are ordered that way, it makes it a little more unique!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing more to say than I like it here. :D

Thanks all.

·
Registered
949 Posts
oxford said:
So far I have been very impressed with the "buzz" going on here...
You don't know how literal that statement is when it comes to MINI :D

Your MK4 is lovely - been a fan of VW since the first GTI's were out. MINI is a fun car as well - good luck with your endeavors!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Welcome Oxford :)

Say have you driven an MCS yet?

If you can take a MINI through some twisty corners with a wee bit of speed...I think a huge smile will come to your face :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to try to test drive one this weekend in Norwich with the lady :D - will do the twisty streets!

She is a bad influence :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts