MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to think I am a reasonable person. Recently, I found out that my MINI dealer here in Detroit Michigan USA will not be receiving cars until Halloween (October). Why???? Because they do not have their showroom built yet. How long have they had to plan this!!!!! Get it together man~!

I followed all of the rules and registered at the MINI website a long time ago and also contacted my dealer here to be put on the list. I am on their list a about # 20........ pretty low. I did everything asked by MINI and yet me and everyone here in Michigan are being totally hosed. Why is there only one dealer in Michigan..... the motor city......! If I knew how screwed up the dealer was here, I would have got my name on a couple of other lists in the surrounding states and been low on their lists. I assumed my dealer would be ready in March or April like most others are. But October!!!

Hmmmm, lets see. I am on the list in Ohio at # 220 or so..... At 30 cars a month beginning in April, I could get a car from the OHIO dealer around October or November. there goes my Summer Driving Plans with the MINI.

Then again, I could take my money and buy a real British sportscar..... maybe a Sunbeam or Healey?

I know I am opening myself up on that last statement. Please go easy on me.... I am a bit fed up with MINI right now.

Grover

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Yes it sucks with no MINI dealer nearby doesn't it?

My suggestion to you is to call lots of MINI dealers to see if you can get a car sooner. From talking with MINI of St. Louis last week, I was told if someone was put on the list then (last week), they would probably have a Cooper by mid-summer (but much longer wait for a Cooper S of course). Call around and don't give up! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The count at St. Louis was about 150 a few days ago. That sounds a lot better than #220.

$500 refundable deposit. $500 over MSRP. My #150? could get even better if lots of people are putting their name on multiple lists.

·
Registered
130 Posts
no more motoring in MI

I would think that if MINI customer service had their act together, they might work out a way for people high on the list at the MIchigan dealership to get worked into the nearest dealers' lists somehow. Like let you get in when someone else cancels or something. Definitely call around - I don't know how but all the Ohio dealers seem to have long lists.

Good luck.

minimott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the "explanation" why the Detroit dealer is late with his dealership:

http://detnews.com/2002/autosconsumer/0203/05/b01-418417.htm

Sounds like BMW didn't like his plan to short-circuit the "dedicated/Mini specific dealership" requirement.

While trying to get on a list in Ohio, we were told "BMW won't let us sell out of state...". When I asked BMW about that I received the following reply:

"My sincerest apologies for your frustration. The MINI division does not and cannot restrict to whom our independent dealer franchises sell to. Please keep in mind that automobile dealers are independent businesses who determine their own pricing and sales practices.

We contacted our sole Michigan dealer, Motor City MINI/Bavarian BMW, to inquire about their delayed opening. Through no fault of their own, their opening date was pushed back. Motor City MINI is currently experiencing delays from local zoning and planning boards over the construction of their MINI dealership. They can begin sales activities as soon as their new MINI building is complete. Unfortunately, until this building is complete, they are without the necessary facilities to display, sell, prepare, and if necessary, repair MINIs. We apologize for your frustration, and we appreciate your patience. We hope that this will not prevent you from wanting to join the MINI family."

While the second paragraph is specific to the Detroit dealer (and a bit disingenuous IMHO), I find the first paragraph most interesting, because it not only deals with sales "restrictions" (BTW, the Ohio dealers now are claiming it's an "intra-state dealer agreement") but also pricing. Per BMW, pricing decisions are per the dealer :mad:

As always "Let the buyer beware"...

DREW

·
Registered
70 Posts
550 miles from home ...

I live in Northwest Ohio and am no. 311 on the Ohio list (would have preferred to be on Detroit list since it an hour closer but saw the delayed opening). Anticipated a one year wait. I was traveling this week for business, stopped at the Mini Dealer *hoping* I could at least sit in a car. Surprise - dealer asked me which one I wanted.

Bought my Mini Cooper Wednesday night, and this afternoon I am driving it back to Ohio. I paid sticker, and there were no mandatory options like I've read about here on this forum. No problem with being an out-of-state buyer (special thanks to my helpful bank manager). I worried about whether there were people ahead of me on this dealer's list, but was told they'd been contacted and hadn't called back or stopped by - or were waiting for an S.

I'm not normally a lucky person (no winning lottery tickets). And I don't know if there will be a downside later when car needs service.

So Detroit ... I'm feeling a little guilty that you did everything right and are still waiting. And I didn't even try to get on a list until six weeks ago and own a car. I think the earlier advice about getting on the phone, calling dealers, and then taking a one way ticket to ? will work for you. I feel like today is the ultimate Motor On as I exchange an afternoon of waiting in airports for a spring day of driving (and a true test of the comfort on long drives of those profile leather seats)

·
Registered
350 Posts
So, jcam711, where was it you flew to on business and came away with a MINI ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts