MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini One Cabriolet 2005
So renovating a mini one cabriolet, driving ok, parked with a battery not holding charge. 10v for 3 days (before i could get a new battery delivered)
Within that time it lost the fob connection, tired the usual pairing, changed the fob battery too nothing it will not pair. Put the new starter battery on the car and the car won't start now ...no cranking! No immobiliser flashing ...no codes on the reader. Everything lights up just no cranking, no noises, just not starting! All fuses in the engine bay are good. Baffled?

Any help please

Mike

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
would need to scan it see the status of immobilizer,, also when doing the key training must have all doors closed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would need to scan it see the status of immobilizer,, also when doing the key training must have all doors closed
Hi ..i made sure the doors were closed, i had to think and went back and checked lol ...same result. I will swop out the starter just in case but i am not hopeful
any other things to look at?

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
before changing starter put a volt ,meter on the small solonoid trigger wire on the starter get someone to turn key while look for volts at that point, ie should get battery voltage when turn key,, if have voltage and no click its the starter,, if have no volts then check wiring back to battery,, failing that its gets expensive ewls unit or as bmw call it now cas unit maybe, also check the ignition switch that get volts when push key against the spring to start as such

Reactions: birty1

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
could also to check earth to engine put a jump lead from neg side of battery to engine block or head if it starts then you ahve a earth issue its easy way to tell

Reactions: birty1

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I would first test the new battery. Mini coopers need a lot of good voltage to start and operate enough so one is almost tended to think there alternator is bad after buying a new Battery. And get a second opinion on the battery if you have to at your local parts store. That's where I would start.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Engineering

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I would first test the new battery. Mini coopers need a lot of good voltage to start and operate enough so one is almost tended to think there alternator is bad after buying a new Battery. And get a second opinion on the battery if you have to at your local parts store. That's where I would start.
View attachment 280265
think there was a clue in when he said he put a new battery on the car and still wont start

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
He did not say if he tried to jump start the car with the new battery.
Put the new starter battery on the car and the car won't start now,,,, that what he wrote

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
New battery is a bad battery is my hypothesis. At this point. Due to the Mini Cooper being a all or nothing in that respect. Not like an old car. Where a low battery causes a slow dreary cranking noise. In a mini cooper it like it has no battery at all when you press the start button with foot on brake.
And just a simple battery that is designed for the Mini cooper, that only registers at maybe .2 or .3 volts higher than a new battery; with even more Cold cranking Amps. Is the difference of the car starting to crank and just being dead.
It sucks I know I had bought a battery and it did not work. It was a Optima for the Mini Cooper. But it was for the non turbo or 2006 and earlier. And it would not start the car. And I could not return the battery. 300 dollar battery 200 dollar loss after I sold it a week later to someone in the aviation field.
It would be a shame if he dug into his car trusting that a battery that these days the quality tends to be poor for political reasons. When he just could of put a battery in there that was good.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
all cars the ecu shuts down if battery dont maintain at east 11.8volts under crank and thats the min,, the stored amps need 12v for the electrons and protons to travel from the battery to components ,,, hence why to check a battery need to put load on it while reading the voltage ,, good battery will stay at 12.8volts ie fully charged, bad one will drop under 12volts when cranking until it gets to the point where lack of volts wont allow cas unit to switch on, so the ecu needs to see the design voltage before amps can travel as such thats part of the science to it,
another little thing a acid cell battery's when they are new the come with no acid in them,, when you fill them with acid from new the chemical electrical reactions between the acid and the plates fully charge the battery without needing to charge it for the off,

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
another thing you can do is:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exhaust
Is to disconnect the battery; then find you available positive wires on the starter. remove them
buy or use
Product Automotive tire Font Gas Audio equipment
clean both side of the connections (wires and tong they attach to).
clean that with a paper towel. Fasten the wires back down.
then buy or use
spray that over the whole connection. Let it cure over night.
Do that for both battery side starter side. ground side (engine chassis to body side connection).
Body side will be painted wire brush to bare metal on that small area. Then clean with paper towel.
fasten back down and spray entire connection with terminal protector paint. Let cure overnight try again.
Either way it takes any potential curve balls out of the picture. And is also good practice on all Ground
connections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts