MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was wonderning if taking the exhaust off the mini would be harmful towards the engine. I just want to hear how it sounds with it off. Just the mufflers. Is there any kind of sensors etc...sorry if this seems dumb, just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with this before doing. Thanks

·
Deals Gap Junkie
411 Posts
Yea if you keep the header on with the O2 sensors you'll be fine. Man does it sound AWESOME when you take the cat-back off!! :D :D :D :D woah is it loud!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have heard that if you run an open exhaust, it is feasable to suck cold air in through the exhaust pipe and burn the valves. Just to hear what it sounds like should be fine, but prolonged use is not recommended.

·
Having Too Much Fun
28 Posts
HAHA, sound like fun, but the MINI exhaust on my 2004 came off in one piece. And I do agree that running the exhaust stright out of the Catalystic converter would be damaging to your engine.

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
this will definatly blow up ure engine if you run it like that! the performance wont be as good and it will blow up the cylinder as it will suck cold air in! and as for the sound-- it will sound like awful!!! i started mine up when i was halfway through fitting my backbox to see what it sounded like and it sounded horrible!!

i would advise, if you want more sound, buy a playmini/scorpion a borla or miltek etc, and if you are worried about warranty then go for the complete jc works exhaust kit!

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
sawit said:
Hey Guys,

I was wonderning if taking the exhaust off the mini would be harmful towards the engine. I just want to hear how it sounds with it off. Just the mufflers. Is there any kind of sensors etc...sorry if this seems dumb, just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with this before doing. Thanks
think TVR!!! it is load as!! :D :cool:

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
think clapped out old banger sound and then think what ure s would sound like! exactly the same! not a very good idea!! stick with a performance backbox as you will stay within emission guidelines! the emission sensors will go off and as i said before the engine will blow up in no less that 50 miles!! due to air being sucked in and there being no back pressure!!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Johnny225 said:
No exhaust is essentially what a straight pipe is right? That's what all race cars have.
The length of the pipe is a critical factor here.
Even race cars with straight pipes have a certain length of pipe post header.
Other than dragsters cars just don't run headers only.

But since the stock header also contains the cat that will help a lot in preventing cold air from being drawn back to the exaust valve. I still wouldn't do it though.What's the use?

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
if you want the loudest exhaust tone.. i think magnaflow is the loudest.. sounds great too

if you just dont care about sound quality.. get a 5zigen fireball muffler addon, and just modify your battery so you run that pipe midway between the res and the mufflers.. run a straight pipe below a low profile battery and a modified battery tray.. dunno if it makes sense.. but it'd be LOUD

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
kyriian said:
if you want the loudest exhaust tone.. i think magnaflow is the loudest.. sounds great too

if you just dont care about sound quality.. get a 5zigen fireball muffler addon, and just modify your battery so you run that pipe midway between the res and the mufflers.. run a straight pipe below a low profile battery and a modified battery tray.. dunno if it makes sense.. but it'd be LOUD
Save a buttload of weight too.
I think TonyB saved like 40+ lbs doing that.
Big thread about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts