MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a bit hesitant with these no-frame windows - you know, the glass just sits out when the doors are open. Well today I noticed some water seeping in near the top *rear* of my passenger's side window. It was just a few drops, and admittedly it was downpouring on the highway, but it was still water and it's not supposed to be there.

When I stopped I took a look at it and from what I can surmise, it appears that that window doesn't go up as far as it should or it's slightly misaligned. Either that or the gasket that seals the window is messed up - I checked the passenger's vs the driver's side and the driver's side is different - in that corner of the seal there are no seams however on the passenger's side there clearly is. I'm not sure if that contributes to the seal issue, though.

The other thing that makes me believe it's misaligned is that the "MINI" "Saint Gobain" marking on the glass, which is at the bottom (towards the rear) is about 3 mm from the top of the door interior when the window is fully closed (and the door closed as well), whereas on the passenger's side it is nearly flush with the interior under the same conditions.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this specific issue?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I called my SA and bringing it in is no prob - but the first appt is in 2 weeks! Hopefully they are triaging, since I told him that the leak only happened in downpours. I'd hate to think that in a more severe case, I'd still have to wait 2 weeks!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Agreed. I've found that if I have had what sounds like a "life threatening" issue, that I am told to "come up" or I get an appt. quite fast...

Aurel and I were talking the other day about how sometimes, it's wise to have a few small issues that you sort of hold on to and then make one appointment...but your window leak is important, though as you noted not an emergency.

Let us know how it all shakes out and enjoy our Independence Day weekend!:red::whblack::indi:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had a clubman since last Dec and noticed soon after we got it that the passenger door window didn't go up as far as the drivers door, when we were next at the dealers we checked all the other clubmans in the showroom and they were all the same. Not had a problem with water coming in.
Drivers door window sometimes doesn't go up enough, notice this when locking car so I have to put key in and knock the window switch up and then it goes up.

Sue

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
I had a small problem with my drivers window not going up after I shut the door. Even though it was down a bit, I never had a problem with water getting in. What happens next is the next time I open the door, the window goes down a bit, but then I shut it, and the window did not go up, leaving a small gap. I just held the up button for 5-10 seconds. Now I don't have the problem with the window not going up. I just have a problem that the one-touch up doesn't work for my drivers window.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Depending upon how far away your dealership is, you might very well get an early appointment for a quick fix.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had an appt - the dealer said it was fixed however it's still leaking and as far as I can tell it doesn't appear as if the window was adjusted at all. I've attached some pics so maybe others can take a look @ their clubmans and tell me if anything's off.

In the "205" image you can see the club door seal and where it meets the horizontal window seal - it's rather high and unfortunately due to the window height (see image 204), all 3 pieces (2 seals and the window) meet here and this is exactly where the leak is happening.

From 204 it looks like the window just needs to be adjusted up a few mm so that it actually presses into the seal itself. I guess they *could* just cut back the club door seal a bit but that isn't the proper way to fix it.

Rather coincidentally, the SM from BMW called me on a standard follow up and I mentioned that I had made another appt (for tomorrow) and he said he would "follow it through the shop". We'll see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Any improvements? I hope so.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll see - I just picked it up this morning after a trip - it's supposed to rain tomorrow so that will be the test. My SA said he had the clubman door seal replaced, and it doesn't "overlap" as much on the horizontal seal as the "old" one did. We'll see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new seal appears to be working - I washed the car yesterday and there were no leaks.

I did discover, however, that the club door will now not open...... UNLESS I manually "pull out" that little "wedge" toward the bottom of the door (the one that prevents the club door handle from working when the passenger door is closed). It almost feels like a lube issue - it pulls out fairly easily but doesn't want to fully extend without a l;ittle help. I'll drop into the dealer next week and see if they can quickly yank off the door interior and lube it up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Uh, oh - sounds as though you're going to need the Club Door cable fix... A lube job on it didn't do it for mine, but ya never know.

Glad the window issues have been addressed properly!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How can it be the cable? I'm not sure exactly how the door works but I assume there's a cable from the handle to the latch and somehow the "wedge" at the bottom of the door is spring-loaded to pop out and enable the door latch cable. Right now it feels as if that "wedge" needs to be lubed or the "spring" replaced. The door opens fine if you pull out the little wedge piece.

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
This is an old thread, glad I found it though! Mine is going in for the third time in a couple of weeks for this 'leak' There is obvious flaw where the club door seal meets the horizontal main door seal. Is this fixable???? :rolleyes:

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
My dealer could get my car to leak in after two days on their 'water tester' so this morning, I did a couple of tests of my own, with a standard garden hose pipe with no extra pressure applied.

The first photo is what happens if you apply water at the bottom of the drivers door window, in the gap between the front door and club door... And the 2nd photo is what happens if you apply water to the top of the gap between the drivers door and club door! Oh dear, no wonder there is extra wind noise when on the move!

Attachments

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
My dealer could get my car to leak in after two days on their 'water tester' so this morning, I did a couple of tests of my own, with a standard garden hose pipe with no extra pressure applied.

The first photo is what happens if you apply water at the bottom of the drivers door window, in the gap between the front door and club door... And the 2nd photo is what happens if you apply water to the top of the gap between the drivers door and club door! Oh dear, no wonder there is extra wind noise when on the move!
I've never noticed any water :eek:

I'll be out with my bucket tomorrow and also try the hose :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if there has been any more recent experience with this problem. Was it perhaps fixed in later cars? I have an April 2010 Cooper Clubman with sunroof and have noticed that the mat in the rear footwell on the club door side is damp after heavy rain and sometimes after washing the car. I have never seen any water drips or runs, though. Initially I suspected the sunroof, but this thread has made me wonder if the club door seals could be the problem; however, directing a hose around the junction between the driver's door and the club door did not produce any problems.
The dealers did a water test last year, but could find nothing; I have asked them to do another one when the car is in for service next week (assuming that they will still be able to do this when the hose pipe ban starts here!) I wonder if there is anything specific that I should encourage them to look out for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts