MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So my 02 Mini hasnt been blowing hot air since i bought it only to recently find out that it does blow hot air when i push it to high rpms. The car operates at normal temperatures doesnt overheat at all so i doubt its the thermostat and the fan seems to working fine. I guessed it might be the heater matrix so i swapped that out. Hot coolant does flow into it and it does seem to get hot and blow hot hair but only from the valve right next to it. I have bled the system but i only used to valve ontop while doing so and not the bottom one. There also seems to be no leaks/little leaks if anything. So my problem is that it doesnt blow hot air out of any of the top vents. Does anyone know what the problem is if it could be a little slow leak? Or what else could it be because at this point im clueless i have run through everything it could be.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I personally would replace my electric fan. In a attempt to correct the issue if I felt it was not the thermostat. So that the car itself will be able to run hotter in the main picture of things. And also because there is no warning light for the fan unit being bad. And like you said it runs cool so it probably won't even let you know you have a fualty fan until some other time. Maybe not even this summer. I would check to see if the fan is working using the directions in the auto repair manual and volt testing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally would replace my electric fan. In a attempt to correct the issue if I felt it was not the thermostat. So that the car itself will be able to run hotter in the main picture of things. And also because there is no warning light for the fan unit being bad. And like you said it runs cool so it probably won't even let you know you have a fualty fan until some other time. Maybe not even this summer. I would check to see if the fan is working using the directions in the auto repair manual and volt testing it.
Thank you i will try checking it that way i have checked the fan out normally and it seems to be working normally but i will look deeper into it as i havent done so

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It jus all seems so confusing because everything runs fine and looks fine it jus doesnt want to blow hot air in any other setting and only blows off the valve next to heater matrix itself. Since it only works sometimes when i drive accelerate up to higher rpms or on very very long journeys, you probably are right about the engine not getting hot enough as it cools down not long after i drive normal again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but when i click on the click i cant find the exact guide you was talking about it comes up with alot of stuff could be pls guide me on which one to use. Also i have found the third bleeder valve that was mentioned.
You have an airlock in the coolant system.

Try following this guide: MINI Cooper Coolant Change (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

DO NOT buy any other parts until you have done this.
Thank you for this i have found the guide will be trying it out first thing in the morning as it is alrdy dark out here. Will be giving an update

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
Sounds like your flap in the heater box is confused and re routing fresh recirculated air. Meanwhile the heater core is hot. I would buy a autel maxicom mk808
As it will certainly tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
989 Posts
if the car gets warm on the move but cools when stationary as above I'd be looking at air in the system,

as for the direction flap not appearing to work perhaps the cable is adrift or something broken?

on an ageing car or one new to you it's worth changing the thermostat anyway, as well as flushing out the system a couple of times,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if the car gets warm on the move but cools when stationary as above I'd be looking at air in the system,

as for the direction flap not appearing to work perhaps the cable is adrift or something broken?

on an ageing car or one new to you it's worth changing the thermostat anyway, as well as flushing out the system a couple of times,
The air always stays cool even on the move it however the matrix is getting hot and the valve next to it does blow hot air here and there however there is no heat coming from the top valves ever except when i accelerate the car to high rpms or on very very long journes and even then after a while it goes back to cool air also can i mention that over time the expansion tank looses coolant but the radiator seems to be completely full everytime i check it.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
346 Posts
Sounds to me like the actuator motor for the hot / cold air blend door isn’t working.

But first things first, I’d follow NigelStap’s advice up in post #7 and make sure all the air has been burped out of the cooling system. These problems can be a bear to pin down and a logical troubleshooting order will save you hours of frustration. (I learned that the hard way!)

Do you have a service manual? If not, the Bentley is the best. It isn’t cheap, until you compare it to the price of taking the car to a shop!

I’ll see what my manual says for troubleshooting these A/C controls and get back to you.

Edit: Do you have a multimeter so you can check voltages and make resistance readings?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds to me like the actuator motor for the hot / cold air blend door isn’t working.

But first things first, I’d follow NigelStap’s advice up in post #7 and make sure all the air has been burped out of the cooling system. These problems can be a bear to pin down and a logical troubleshooting order will save you hours of frustration. (I learned that the hard way!)

Do you have a service manual? If not, the Bentley is the best. It isn’t cheap, until you compare it to the price of taking the car to a shop!

I’ll see what my manual says for troubleshooting these A/C controls and get back to you.

Edit: Do you have a multimeter so you can check voltages and make resistance readings?
I would appreciate that alot thank you
And yes i do have a multimeter but im quite new to this so im not sure where to take any readings from if you could help me with that?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, I’ll coach you through it.

Are you familiar with Ohm’s Law, and the definitions of Volts, Amperage (amps), and Ohms (resistance)?

If you aren’t familiar with it I can write up a simple explanation. Probably most people aren’t, but it’s easy enough to catch on and the math is simple. And it’s necessary for troubleshooting electrical problems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Font Sleeve Material property Parallel Pattern
You have the IHKS A/C control, so this is going to be a LOT easier!

Sorry the picture is sideways, haven’t worked out how to turn them after they are attached yet.

Anyway, it seems that your problem may be somewhere in the mechanical linkage of either the hot / cold knob or the vent selector knob. I can’t tell which yet.

When you rotate the hot / cold knob, can you hear a door moving back and forth? Does it feel like the knob is connected to anything?

Try the same thing with the vent selector knob, does it seem to be operating anything back in the dash?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I’ll coach you through it.

Are you familiar with Ohm’s Law, and the definitions of Volts, Amperage (amps), and Ohms (resistance)?

If you aren’t familiar with it I can write up a simple explanation. Probably most people aren’t, but it’s easy enough to catch on and the math is simple. And it’s necessary for troubleshooting electrical problems.
Thanks alot yes i am familiar with them as i am currently studying mechanical engineering at university however i am only in my first year but yes i got the basics down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 279921 You have the IHKS A/C control, so this is going to be a LOT easier!

Sorry the picture is sideways, haven’t worked out how to turn them after they are attached yet.

Anyway, it seems that your problem may be somewhere in the mechanical linkage of either the hot / cold knob or the vent selector knob. I can’t tell which yet.

When you rotate the hot / cold knob, can you hear a door moving back and forth? Does it feel like the knob is connected to anything?

Try the same thing with the vent selector knob, does it seem to be operating anything back in the dash?
The vent selection knobe i can hear stuff moving in the back and it changes where the air comes out it might actually be the cold/hot air knob as i have tried before but dont really hear anything and it doesnt feel like i am moving much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.