MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
You dont need a jack if you\'ve got the chilli pack as you have run flat tyres that are capable of letting you continue your journey or get you to the nearest repairer within 100 miles at a speed upto 50mph.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I don\'t think you get a jack with any of the MINIs

Unless you get the space saver spare wheel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This problem had also crossed my mind. I would normally use the car\'s jack to rotate the tyres, or to change the brake pads (presumably these are not covered by TLC). I do have a hydraulic jack, so i should be OK. Rotating the tyres without a spare will be fun though - need to jack up both wheels on each side.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Owners Manual I think says \"do not rotate\" wheels. Unfortunately my MINI took it too literally and is now my ex-MINI.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
If you use a jack on the jacking point, you can lift both wheels on one side of the car.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am not sure about the idea of no jack. Here are some ways I would use it...

- To take a wheel off after getting home with a flat so I can drop it off at a tire dealer to get a new tire fixed. Having to take the car in is a pain as you end up having to wait.

- To lift the car to put it in stands so I can work underneath it.

- To change to snow tires (assuming I bought an extra set of rims for the snow tires)

- To take a wheel off to take it somewhere get the tire fixed if it gets totally shredded - even with run flat tires it can still get too badly damaged to drive on. No jack means the car has to be towed.

- To rotate the tires. A FWD car with decent power will always wear the front tires more than the back. I can\'t believe BMW says they should not be rotated unless they are forced to say that having left no room for the jack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same questions as the rest. I was just at the dealer and looked in the back of an S built in August (in the showroom) and it had a jack in the floor of the storage area where you would normally stow your cargo. Not under the cover but on top, hooked to the two retainer rings. Do you think that August build cars had jacks standard with the run flats? Perhaps Mini recognized there is a problem and fixed it by supplying jacks. Mick

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
534 Posts
I have a space saver spare and a jack and this pretty little kit to do things with and...ummm... As you can see this stuff is lost on me (probably why it came with it:rolleyes: ) I thought all cars in the US were required to be fitted with a spare? or at least in New Jersey. I don't know were they'd put one on a MCS because mine sits kind of under the boot and the dual tailpipe seems like it would make fitting a spare impossible. The only time I ever got a flat this guy stopped and changed it even before I got a chance to dial AAA. Luckily my dad threw a jack into the trunk, who knew?:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I enquired at the parts department about a jack for the mini, as no other jack ive got fits into the specially provided/shaped jacking points!!

its the same jack as with all BMW's and they came back with a price of 26 quid!! might get one at some point cos the are usefull for general maintenance stuff!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
(presumably these are not covered by TLC). [/B]

I asked my dealer if the breaks were covered in the service plan and he said they are. NOt sure if the TLC is different.

The only thing that is not replaced by the dealer due to wear is the tires.

Pebble.
:)

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
The BMW/MINI jack is about £25. IMO it's not worth it. Buy a decent trolley jack instead.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Waste of space

I've had My MC for 3 WKS now and I thought that BMW were extracting the Urine by putting in a jack with Run flat tyres.:rolleyes:

But apparently is it still some legal requirement is some countries. This does not explain why it is fitted to some & not other.

Confused you will be after this episode of MINI soap ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts