MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Had my 2002 JCW up for sale for a Month or so now - with very little intrest. Its not as if its a bad example, or has anything wrong with it, some I was just a bit concerned there was something wrong with my add or the price?

Here is the add (also in the for sale section)
Mini : 2002 Mini Cooper S Works

Is this just my add, or is the market a bit poor at the moment for used Mini's!?

Thanks in advance,
Matt :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks like a good price to me. But as James said the market is awful at the moment. I know of a few people struggling to sell their cars and not all of them are performance cars!

The petrol/tax prices have really got people worrying unfortunately.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got no bites via Pistonheads or MINI2 classifieds when selling my Cooper - Autotrader did the trick though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Price is ok - but its not the best time to sell a car like that, with all this petrol stuff going on, people are not looking at cars that drink alot of petrol.

What price has a dealers offered for it?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The price is excellent - don't lower it! Anyway, heres an old trick - set the radio to classic fm - as its a performance car and classic fm is the sort of music your grandad would listen to, this makes for a good pairing. People will automatically assume that it hasn't been thrashed!:) When did the car have new discs and pads? How about a photo of the rear?

However, as a general rule use Autotrader. Everyone looks there and that gets you the largest audience. Its not too expensive either. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
638 Posts
credit crunch, £6 for a gallon, 20mpg car, = hard to shift at the mo. Also with a newer model out that uses less fuel, has lower tax banding etc etc etc its making life hard for the proper Cooper S (S stands for supercharger in my eyes, lol)

Its a pity, nice car, good wheels, full leather, climate, just wrong country.......

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
Thats a beautifully spec'd car - Just with the current climate and all that with a recession looming (well, we're in one IMO) and fuel prices rocketing, people are scared to buy cars, especially those who like a drink :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
It'll be the tax, insurance and fuel costs that are hampering. If I was in the market for a Cooper S it's exactly what I'd be looking for... love the colour it's in.

I've had 2x MG ZS180's in the past and was considering buying another yesterday. When I had a look on Autotrader they were down to less than £1700 (I paid £4500 for my first one in the same condition with same miles etc 1.5 years ago) and it's just another sign of the times.

Where have you advertised?

Go for every free ads paper\website you can find and advertise in the Autotrader. My dad had a Focus in the autotrader for around 3 months and just got timewasters. Then he advertised it in the local Advertiser paper and got 3 proper calls in one hour! 1 day later, he'd sold it :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try autotrader with current price.

If phone does'nt ring then you know you need to drop price to shift. £500 drop may be painful but likely to make all the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having trouble selling my John Cooper Works too. It has a fantastic spec and in fab condition...dropped the price three times...still had no offers....everyone keeps saying it is the credit crunch so your comments make sense! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I know the feeling well as I have a VOLVO S80 V8 Sport only 14 months old and less than 7000 miles on the clock - buyers are holding on to their money

Just look at today's Financial Times and look at the share price fall for some of the big car dealer groups.

Times is getting hard and Labour car tax etc does not make life any easier

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just sold a bettwe speced one with 30k less mjiles than yours, for less than you are asking.

Prices for minis are in freefall, i would never buy another, exept maybe a basic sped cooper D

Good luck you'll need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed, lovely post! Its entirely upto you if you wish to sell a car for well under book price my friend, however, it is not something i frequent myself with, good luck to you too though.

Thanks for the positive replys guys :) I had a few offers of £7500 a few weeks back but turned them down as I was holding out for more - might consider accepting an offer next time it comes around...

On the credit crunch note, I have noticed this too! Not sure if this stands me in good stead for my next purchase or not though? Was looking at a 4.8IS X5! Yes, it is quite possibly the worse time to be buying one in terms of fuel, tax etc, but there may possibly be more of an advantage in that private and dealers are more desperate to sell, and will be wlling to give more generous deals than the usual? Or I am just deluded?!

Once again, thanks for all the replys suggestions.. I will hold out for a little longer!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I just sold a bettwe speced one with 30k less mjiles than yours, for less than you are asking.

Prices for minis are in freefall, i would never buy another, exept maybe a basic sped cooper D

Good luck you'll need it.
Your talking rubbish. They are better than ever, and MINI has won parkers award for being the car which looses the least amount of money - about the same as a coffee or two at Starbucks a day.

I can't believe you sold it for less - if you're that much of an idiot would you like to buy my one seven for £35000?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Agreed, lovely post! Its entirely upto you if you wish to sell a car for well under book price my friend, however, it is not something i frequent myself with, good luck to you too though.

Thanks for the positive replys guys :) I had a few offers of £7500 a few weeks back but turned them down as I was holding out for more - might consider accepting an offer next time it comes around...

On the credit crunch note, I have noticed this too! Not sure if this stands me in good stead for my next purchase or not though? Was looking at a 4.8IS X5! Yes, it is quite possibly the worse time to be buying one in terms of fuel, tax etc, but there may possibly be more of an advantage in that private and dealers are more desperate to sell, and will be wlling to give more generous deals than the usual? Or I am just deluded?!

Once again, thanks for all the replys suggestions.. I will hold out for a little longer!
No you're right. At the moment, people haven't normalised the new fuel prices, however, in time they will. My dad looked at having one - well a new model. 4.8 every extra - literally all for about £30000 to £40000 less than new at one year old with 3278 miles.

If you were to go to a dealer - you'd get a very good deal - they are desperate to get rid of these cars so will do practically anything. Also everyone with them is selling them so mini dealers are selling lots - people see minis as cool and are happy to swap their x5 for one. Therefore, you are doing the opposite and should really benefit. The only problem is it isn't a mini, but good luck with your car and with the purchase of you new car.:smile:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts