MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November, I got on the waiting list in Denver Colorado(Ralph Schomp Mini). Late last month I received an e-mail from them telling me that they can't sell the Mini to people outside of the area. They then told me to wait and a dealer might be in my area in a couple of years!! AA COUPLE OF YEARS? I don't think do. So, I contacted the Lousiana dealer to find out that they will not be selling the Mini at all. I then contacted the Kansas dealer and the west Tennesse dealer. Neither one of these dealers has returned my call.

Why won't BMW sell the Mini in Texas? I talked to Classic BMW at the Dallas Auto Show and they told me that BMW reefused to sell it in Texas and that there is now a law suit that has been filed by Classic BMW against BMW. What gives? I just want a Mini. Plain and simple. Why are there 3 dealers in Florida, 8 dealers in California, 2 dealers in Tennesse, yet no dealers in Texas? I don't mind driving that far to purchase a car, but I would prefer to buy in my own state. It would make service much easier.

Can someone please explain this to me????

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
DavidT said:
......Can someone please explain this to me????
DavidT,

First off, welcome to MINI2! Sorry this is the first topic of discussion for you. I’m afraid you’ve got a run of bad luck with 3 strikes against you:

• 1. No Texas dealers
    2. Peake BMW in New Orleans deciding at the last minute to not become a MINI dealer
    3. Ralph Schomp MINI in Denver deciding very late in the game to get all territorial and prohibit sales to out-of-state buyers.
What a mess! For an explanation and history of the problem of no MINI dealers in this state follow the link Gromit has kindly posted directly above as well as:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3841

But if after all that has happened you decide that you still want a MINI (I certainly plan on getting one), I recommend you contact two "nearby" dealers that both seem to be decent businesses: MINI of St. Louis and Baron MINI in Kansas City.

Are you looking for a standard Cooper or a Cooper S? If you are looking for a standard Cooper, MINI of St. Louis said it may be possible to get one as soon as mid-summer (you'd have to act fast to join their waitlist very soon for that to happen). A Cooper S will take longer, probably toward the end of the year is my guess.

I think that MINIUSA will announce Texas dealers in Q2, and the first dealers in this state will open in the Fall. And I hope that's not just wishful thinking. If it does work out that way, I will be 'roughing it' with no in-state dealers for hopefully only 6 months or so. I'm based in San Antonio and I will likely be the only MINI Cooper S owner for hundreds of miles around for some period of time. The trips to get regular maintenance done will certainly be a major hassle for a while (I was counting on going to Peake but now I'll have to go to Baron). However, for emergency problems with a MINI there is some good backup in place with the MINI Roadside Assistance Program:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4231

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
MINIAC said:
Click the
at the top of the page and do a "Search titles only" for "texas" ;)
or you can wait for someone like Bruce to take the time to give you the Readers Digest version :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Well DavidT, have you had a chance to soak all this info in?

What are you planning on doing MINI-wise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the info guys. I just now read the info(i don't personally have internet access). Tommorow morning I'll call the Kansas dealer again and try to get on their list. Living in north Texas it won't be too difficult to drive the 400 miles to get service. The only problem is I'll be making monthly trips for service(I purhased a 2002 Hyundai Accent GS back in early september of last year and I've already got over 17,000 miles on it!)!

But, I will be on the waiting list for a Cooper S. I autocross and I also do driver education events so the better suspension, better seats, and more power will be more beneficial to me.

But just to be on the safe side, I'll go down tommorrow afternoon after I wake up and talk to Classic BMW and see if they have an unofficial list that they will put me on.

Thanx for putting up with the FNG and thanx for the info guys!

btw.... 2 days ago I sent a letter to MiniUsa expressing my discontent with BMW for what they are doing, and I added that because of this I am now looking at other cars to buy instead of the Mini.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
DavidT,

Glad to hear you are still hooked on the MINI! :)
DavidT said:
.....But just to be on the safe side, I'll go down tommorrow afternoon after I wake up and talk to Classic BMW and see if they have an unofficial list that they will put me on....
I understand (not from MINIUSA, but from another source) that Classic BMW in Dallas is the Texas dealer that stirred up this whole mess with the state and BMW corporate. If true, it would be interesting to hear their side of this and when they think things will be resolved.
DavidT said:
btw.... 2 days ago I sent a letter to MiniUsa expressing my discontent with BMW for what they are doing, and I added that because of this I am now looking at other cars to buy instead of the Mini.
Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I wish you guys good luck...........last week my salesman said a few people called him from Texas about getting a car :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am now on the waiting list in Kansas! It will be summer before I can get a Cooper, or about a year before I can get a Cooper S! Now all I can do is hurry up and wait! :D

·
MINI2 Regular
60 Posts
Gang
I dont understand the whole waiting list concept, Talk to Mo Jacobs at Roadshow in Memphis, I ordered late december and picked up 12 february,
They deal with out of state folks with some regularity and are very professional

Merlin and Buzzzz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
merlinsoars said:
Gang
I dont understand the whole waiting list concept, Talk to Mo Jacobs at Roadshow in Memphis, I ordered late december and picked up 12 february,
They deal with out of state folks with some regularity and are very professional

Merlin and Buzzzz

Look at the dates on this thread and it might make more sense. This thread was started back when the Mini's were first being released and there were waiting lists at every dealer to get one.

·
MiNi SiNNeR
218 Posts
DavidT said:
Look at the dates on this thread and it might make more sense. This thread was started back when the Mini's were first being released and there were waiting lists at every dealer to get one.
So did you get your Mini and what kind did you get? I too was gonna reply with the why the hell cant you get a Mini in TX until I seen the date that the thread was started lol. Must be nice to not have to drive 400 Miles to the dealer tho....:D Take care!!

·
MINI2 Regular
60 Posts
SiNNeD said:
So did you get your Mini and what kind did you get? I too was gonna reply with the why the hell cant you get a Mini in TX until I seen the date that the thread was started lol. Must be nice to not have to drive 400 Miles to the dealer tho....:D Take care!!
Ya big brain freeze on the date, Oh well.
Yep got 2005 MCS, drove back from TN had a ball (one ticket one almost) 2100 miles and 28 honest MPG
they are sure a piece of work, I can understand whay everyone out here is willing to pay big premiums.
4600 miles now and still tickled. Still will have to find a dealer here I can live with tho for service. My closest one (assael) sucks from the feedback I'm getting. Looks like I may have to go to Orange County
Merlin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts