MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some poorly engineered cars people have taken to installing shift lights or buzzers
to help with change up points. So hats off to BMW engineers for making sure the gear
lever buzzes at 6,500 rpm giving you warning of approaching the red line. Leaves me
with the question of chipped S's with raised rev limits. Can you modify the gear lever
to buzz 250 rpm before the new redline? ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SteveM3 said:
In some poorly engineered cars people have taken to installing shift lights or buzzers
to help with change up points. So hats off to BMW engineers for making sure the gear
lever buzzes at 6,500 rpm giving you warning of approaching the red line. Leaves me
with the question of chipped S's with raised rev limits. Can you modify the gear lever
to buzz 250 rpm before the new redline? ;)
Isn't that what the rev limiter is for? Time and time again I hear these kids waiting until the motor bouces off the rev limiter before they shift!

I must be old fashion. I watch the tach needle. Just as it's about to reach 7,000, I bump the clutch pedal and grab the next gear. :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
no that not what the rev limiters for. But your right many kids do wait for the bounce before shifting. Like you im Old fashion and wait for the 7k mark before shifting. or in case of when im doing elimanation drag racing i wait for 6k before the shift. so im more consistant and have room for errors.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always red lined cars, that's what it's for. The Cooper S is the first car I've owned
though that power drops off before the red line so I usually change at 6,500 to allow a
little error. I'd be very embarrased to hit the rev limiter though as I think that is poor driving.
I've done it twice in other cars, once in a Honda Civic and once in a Honda Accord. Both
had very impressive VTEC engines that make you instantly addictive to revs :D .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
SteveM3
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing