MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I apologise if this has been answered a million times, I’ve read through most of them but still can’t figure out what the problem is. I’ve just bought a 2013 Cooper S and one of the main reasons was because of the pops and bangs, who doesn’t love that noise?! But mine doesn’t seem to do it. Is it that I can’t hear them from inside the car or is there another reason why? I put V power fuel in today when I collected it as someone said that’s how they get theirs popping but still nothing. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Apart from this I’m absolutely loving the car and can’t stop driving it!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
First of all I apologise if this has been answered a million times, I’ve read through most of them but still can’t figure out what the problem is. I’ve just bought a 2013 Cooper S and one of the main reasons was because of the pops and bangs, who doesn’t love that noise?! But mine doesn’t seem to do it. Is it that I can’t hear them from inside the car or is there another reason why? I put V power fuel in today when I collected it as someone said that’s how they get theirs popping but still nothing. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Apart from this I’m absolutely loving the car and can’t stop driving it!
see pops and bags is where fuel and air unburnt on the over run and with inlet and exhaust valves over lap ie both open at same time etc,trouble with this is kills off the cat after a while, so decat is a must do with them its within the map ie injectors are mapped to add fuel a number of times over induction cycle and the last one is a small amount mappers can increase this pulse and this gives pops and bangs and flames when really pushed to limits,, its a good thing to always have good 02 sensors,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They all pop & bang, put the car in sport mode and lower the windows 😅.
I’ve been doing this, but still nothing. Is there a trick to it or do you just get them all the time from hard driving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see pops and bags is where fuel and air unburnt on the over run and with inlet and exhaust valves over lap ie both open at same time etc,trouble with this is kills off the cat after a while, so decat is a must do with them its within the map ie injectors are mapped to add fuel a number of times over induction cycle and the last one is a small amount mappers can increase this pulse and this gives pops and bangs and flames when really pushed to limits,, its a good thing to always have good 02 sensors,,
Thanks, I don’t think I’ve ever read anyone go into that much detail about how it actually happens. So what are you suggesting I do? Get the cat checked out to see if it’s knackered?

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I remember correctly, a few years ago I think some people were saying the MINI dealers removed pops and bangs when their cars went in for servicing without telling the owners with software updates.

If it hasn't been tuned then pop and bangs will happen more on the overruns.

If you like pops and bangs to happen more then you'll probably need to get it modified and tuned like what mike1967 said.

Stage 2 Manic Motorsports package used to give pops and bangs even without sports mode.

This will explain more if you want to read

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I remember correctly, a few years ago I think some people were saying the MINI dealers removed pops and bangs when their cars went in for servicing without telling the owners with software updates.

If you like pops and bangs to happen more then you'll probably need to get it modified and tuned like what mike1967 said.

Stage 2 Manic Motorsports package used to give pops and bangs even without sports mode.

Thanks, I’ll have a read through that tomorrow. Is there any way to check if the car has had that software update?

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts

cant beat them mapped just brings them alive good grin factor and extra torque mid range to top end is so much better when done right cant beat rolling road calibration for best results

·
TGMoCatKU
12 Posts
This seems to be anti=environmental.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts