MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2nd Mini
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to my Ma, and she told me that the rear fog light cant be install into pre 05's if its not factory done. My MA said that if the factory didnt wired the car before hand, then it cant be retrofitted. I hope that is not true. somebody shine some light on this. I would hate to be missing a toggle swich.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
For PRE'05 cars (ie: those with the rear fogs in the same cluster as the other rear lights and the reversing light in the bumper):
The wiring and even the bulb is present in the car from the factory.
You need to install a toggle switch panel with the extra switch, then have the BC1 (car electronics) reprogrammed to support rear fog functionality.

See here and here on my weblog ...

BTW, was "shine some light" a deliberate or accidental pun? ;)

·
i'm the dude!
55 Posts
andylee97 said:
I just spoke to my Ma, and she told me that the rear fog light cant be install into pre 05's if its not factory done. My MA said that if the factory didnt wired the car before hand, then it cant be retrofitted. I hope that is not true. somebody shine some light on this. I would hate to be missing a toggle swich.
I too was told that it could not be done, but i bought the toggle switch panel at my dealer and installed it myself. The car is prewired for it, all that needs to be done is install the new switch panel and have them activate it.

·
2nd Mini
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i told my MA, but she insisted that what ever info I got was wrong. Since they banned rear fog to the US. they didnt install the wires on the cars. I hope she is wrong, but has anybody got rear fog on pre 05s.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 04 which was delivered in June came with rear fog lights. I think it was listed as a $75 option on the sticker.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
andylee97 said:
thats what i told my MA, but she insisted that what ever info I got was wrong. Since they banned rear fog to the US. they didnt install the wires on the cars. I hope she is wrong, but has anybody got rear fog on pre 05s.
She is wrong. My 03 fog lights come on with the brakes - not fog. :D

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
andylee97 said:
Did you not see the picture on my earlier post - or follow the links to my weblog!?

GBMINI is an '03 (I took delivery in Feb'03) and it has working rear fogs. Email the links I provided you to your MA; also tell them to check on "parts bulletin # M 63 02 03" which you can read on this weblog page

·
Registered
628 Posts
andylee97 said:
I'm sorry to say that your motoring advisor is misinformed. Rear fog lights were never banned in the U.S.

The car is wired for the rear fog light and the bulbs are even present in the sockets from the factory.

All you need to activate rear fog lights is to have the correct toggle switch panel installed, then have the service dept. program the BC1 to activate the rear fog light.

You should probably speak to the service dept. on this issue as opposed to your motoring advisor, since your motoring advisor isn't going to be the one installing or activating the rear fog light. Then, once your rear fog lights are working, you can show your motoring advisor. :)

BTW I have an '03 and my rear fog light works fine. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the position of the re-located rear fog light on the '05s make them illegal in two US States; California is one of 'em and I can't remember the other.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
gr8britwjh said:
I think the position of the re-located rear fog light on the '05s make them illegal in two US States; California is one of 'em and I can't remember the other.
The '05 rear fog light is no longer illegal in California ... only Oregon ;)

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
From what i have heard there is no kit for the 05s yet since the tail lights are new, and that is what the wait is about. The kit is being developed, or has been already, and as soon as it is they will install it.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
dave316 said:
From what i have heard there is no kit for the 05s yet since the tail lights are new, and that is what the wait is about. The kit is being developed, or has been already, and as soon as it is they will install it.
Has anyone seen an update on this?

I know people have ordered the rear fogs from the factory on 05s, but are those of us with earlier-build cars are out of luck?

I had heard that a "kit" was coming that consisted of the new switch bank and the bulb assembly, and that otherwise, only the reprogramming had to be done...

Has anyone heard anything about that?

-Eric

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
andylee97 said:
I have an '02 MCS and had the dealer install the rear fogs. They work great. Actually used them the first week that they were installed.

Just as everyone else said, everything is there already except the switch and the programing. Give your MA a "dope slap" and tell her to get with the program.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fogs (rear only ?) were only banned in CA and OR and now it's only OR :(

The dealer installed kits for the '05s should be available soon :cool:

Please remember, foglights (front & rear) are only to be used in poor visibility conditions :mad:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
gr8britwjh said:
Please remember, foglights (front & rear) are only to be used in poor visibility conditions :mad:
Hahahaha...try telling this to the kids in the area who think they are there just to look good, then don't turn them on when there is heavy fog.

Or the soccer moms driving 5-ton SUVs who have no idea what a fog light is and NEVER have them on when driving in it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rear fog light

I ordered the rear fog light with my 05 MCS which i took possession of Sept 04. I am still waiting on the kit..one piece of news for you folk..the lens is red not white as in past years.
For US models that is

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
PaulS said:
I ordered the rear fog light with my 05 MCS which i took possession of Sept 04. I am still waiting on the kit..one piece of news for you folk..the lens is red not white as in past years.
For US models that is
So what exactly is in the 'kit'? Is it just the bank of switches, a bulb and the red lens? I mean if I install the switch myself, put in a clear lens and my own bulb, the only thing they'd have to do is program it in, correct?

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I had mine installed at Classic MINI in Mentor Ohio for like 125 bucks. The only part I got back was the 5 switch panel.....so I truly think it is just the six switch panel and a bulb, plus the programming.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
Cooper76 said:
Hahahaha...try telling this to the kids in the area who think they are there just to look good, then don't turn them on when there is heavy fog.

Or the soccer moms driving 5-ton SUVs who have no idea what a fog light is and NEVER have them on when driving in it.

:rolleyes:
I got passed a while back, in the middle of near-zero-visibility hurricane leftovers, by a lady in an SUV, in the left lane, on the phone, with no headlights on (much less fogs). She did, however, have on her hazard lights :rolleyes:

I think some people simply disengage their brains when they turn the key...

-Eric

1 - 20 of 25 Posts