MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
nancy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: DId you guys hear of some problem with the Sirius not fitting the 05 models? I ordered mine
with and dealer called yesterday to say there is some new bulletin out with warning not to try
to install in 05 models as they don't fit!!! Maybe because or the dash going to 3 pc?? Now they have
to do some sort of design modification to get the units to slide in in place of stock radio. :dark:

·
Kaptain Krutaroo
390 Posts
BWAAA Sirius!! - I picked up my '05 MINI Cooper S last week - I've installed XM Direct - I use the factory CD-Changer metal holder with double-sided tape for the XM unit. The blitzsafe connector fits easily in the cubbyhole next to the HK amp. Bad news - the XM mini antenna doesn't fit in back of the existing antenna because of the extended length of the new antenna (if I didn't have a sunroof I could install it in front of the antenna). Good news - it works on the parcel shelf - when I get a few moments I'm going to move the antenna to the front dash and permanently affix it to the area near the auto ac sensor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone have an update on the dealer installed Sirius radio? I ordered it on my September delivered MCS. My dealer has not infomed me that it won't work. Anyone with direct experience on this?

·
nancy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ff2_emtb said:
So does the '05 antenna already have the SIRIUS antenna built in?

Does anybody know for sure?

Travis
It is my understanding that the new style antenna has the SIRIUS antenna built in - BUT - I solved my problem by buying the XM Direct/Blitzsafe and it was in and working within 10 minutes - or less. I also found that the XM anetnna does fit behind the existing antenna - it is just close, very very close - but doesn't move so - so far so good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What prices have your dealers been quoting you for the Sirius unit installed? Mine wants $850 or so.

I just talked to my MA yesterday about it and she didn't say anything about it not working in the '05s

·
Kaptain Krutaroo
390 Posts
Absurd Pricing for Sirius

Why would you want to pay more than $800 for Sirrius installed. Just a note - there are more BMW's installed with XM than Sirius. Just get XM Direct from xmfan.com - it's like $269.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
desjo said:
So has anyone taken delivery of an '05 with a Sirius radio installed? Or, tried but was not able to get the option installed?
Yes.

My 05 arrived last Friday, and is having the aero kit installed now, so I still haven't taken delivery.
I was told by my MA last Saturday, "Oh by the way, the 05 Sirius kit is not out yet, so it will have to come back in for that once it's out"...

I had already read that on MINI2, so I wasn't surprised, I just wish the MAs would be more on top of what's going on!

We may have 2 dozen FM stations in my area, but I can put the radio on 'scan' in the morning, and not find music anywhere!! It's all useless DJ chatter and commercials :mad: , so I'm really looking forward to getting the Sirius....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Numbers

Can someone give me the correct model numbers for the Blitzsafe and the XM Direct receiver? Also, what all is included in the install kit besides the XM Direct receiver & the Blitzsafe? I will be taking delivery very soon of a 2005 MCS and want to install XM with my HK stereo, MFSW & factory antenna.

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
Sirius satellite radio is still being worked on. I'm pretty sure they're planning for October availability, but it could be earlier or later depending on the whole process...

The base of new antenna does include the satellite receiver. They still haven't made SIRIUS available with a navigation system. It's one or the other.

·
Happy Motorer!
60 Posts
I was told by my MA that I couldn't get it on my 2005 cabrio because there was no large surface for the antenna to use to bounce the signal off of???

If they are working on the kit to get Sirius installed in the 2005's, does ANYONE know whether the convertibles will be included?

·
Registered
437 Posts
DeLaura said:
I was told by my MA that I couldn't get it on my 2005 cabrio because there was no large surface for the antenna to use to bounce the signal off of???

If they are working on the kit to get Sirius installed in the 2005's, does ANYONE know whether the convertibles will be included?
That's the second time I've heard that rumor now about the convertibles...that you need a metal roof that acts like "a giant antenna" or some sort of thing.

That makes no sense to me...isn't that why most Sirius units come with an antenna? Isn't that why the base of the 2005 antenna is (supposedly) satellite ready? There are others who have installed XM in their convertibles without problem. Where is this large surface area thing coming from. For people with home Sirius, the antenna is tiny and mounts outside the house! Where's the large surface area there?

I think it's just another case of MA's not reading Mini2 and other forums to keep up to date. Makes me mad. :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
If you read the aftermarket install details, the antennas are designed to sit on a metal base which provides a "ground plane".
I did tests with my antenna in different places, or different amounts of "ground plane" and it made no improvement.
Plus, it is possible to design the antenna so that it does not have this requirement.

Having said all that, it is possible that on the cabrio, they did not have the space to design the Sirius antenna into the base - or maybe they did ... when the official '05 kit documentation appears, it will tell us the truth.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Not sure if this answers your cabrio question, but the dealer-installed Sirius antenna goes through the regular MINI antenna. No additional antenna is required. Slop-free and clean. Going by that, I can't see any reason why the cabrio can't get Sirius.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cooper76 said:
Not sure if this answers your cabrio question, but the dealer-installed Sirius antenna goes through the regular MINI antenna. No additional antenna is required. Slop-free and clean. Going by that, I can't see any reason why the cabrio can't get Sirius.

But the question is: where in the cabrio is the lead for the Sirius portion of the antenna?...if I knew that, so many questions would be answered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
MadisonMini
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing