MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MA called me this am to inform me that there was some bad news on my incoming '05. He said that the dealer installed Sirius radio option was not available. He couldn't really answer if it was not out yet, or it wasn't going to be available. Anyone have any ideas or info? The good news is that he said I should be able to pick it up by Wed next week. Thanks for the help.

·
Mini Schooler
53 Posts
Well I can'y imagine why it wouldn't be available. I mean the car is pratically the same. Except for the minor changes. Its not like its a completely new car. That and if its dealer installed and you still get it for the older cars if you went and and had them order it for you, I can't see why they couldn't just install it on a newer version mini. Just an idea. Not sure how well the sirius radio sold, maybe it wasn't that popular or something so they decided to get rid of it. Still it makes no sense why your dealer couldn't install it for you.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Go with XM Direct It costs less and works the same way througth the boost display; it just plugs into the CD changer wiring in the boot.
unless adding the MP3 feature in some way changes things it should work just fine for the 05
XM direct was $300 anfd the install very easy DIY $10 a month subscription fee

I bought it here
http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=RVR-D-001-BMW101
and used the fine install guide here (since I have the HK radio it took me a bit longer as the space on the cubby is tight with the HK amplifier in there but it all does fit)
http://nickpresley.com/xm/
this my install http://www.mini2.com/forum/showpost.php?p=821054&postcount=91

·
MINI2 Regular
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts. I already have Surius in my truck and have been nothing but happy with it, still wonder if the HU isn't Surius ready or what?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The HU changed for '05. (the only noticible difference being the larger knob) It doesn't surprise me that they may need to do some small re-engineering of the Sirius kit to fit whatever they may have changed inside and on the back of the HU for '05 as well.

If they say they're planning on making it available, that's good. But I'd worry a bit personally, since Sirius was so expensive compared to XM, I really doubt it sold well, so they may not have the volume necessary to justify offering it still.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My speculation is that the HU is compatible but there is an issue with the antenna. The Sirius receiver lives in the boot and connects to the standard CD changer connections.

The '03 antenna is mounted 'backwards' to fit correctly which I cannot believe was designed by intention. I double checked the docs, the dealer did install it correctly.

The new '05s are supposed to have a single antenna base for standard, Nav and Sirius models. I'm guessing there was a problem in the design or supply chain for the Sirius version so it won't be orderable until later in the MY.

Motoringfile Link

Sean

·
MINI2 Regular
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have the correct info now. There is a problem with the way the Sirius unit connects to the HU. The dealers don't have the correct stuff to connect the thing yet. Mini hasn't sent them out yet. My MA said that in a month or two all should be fixed. The best news is that I will be driving the thing Tues a.m. and pix to follow soon after!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Thor Sanchez
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing