MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope it can be fixed.
If it is of any consolation to you, and I am by no means an expert, but it looks like the DME was already damaged, so there is probably little you could have done to avoid it. The photo isn't the best but it looks like the plastic around the pins melted, which would indicate a short somewhere. That might have caused the (electric ?) fire you experienced. It would be interesting to know what caused it, but I suspect with the subsequent damage it might be hard to locate it.
Also good job managing to extinguish it and safe as much as you did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The fire was due to a leak from the main fuel pipe(the one connected to the engine). Not sure what caused it in term of spark/ignition. The mechanic's theory is that there was a major electrical issue somewhere to the left of the engine seeing as how the concentration of damage was to the left side of car.

UPDATE:
It's not as bad as I assumed; mainly plastic parts were damaged. A few sensors and wires. The verdict on the starter motor and alternator is still unknown. My main concern is the ECM/DME. The workshop stated that they can source a used one from a totaled car and reprogram it. I am not that well versed in these matters, so I accepted.
I think mike1967 mentioned a place that can refurbish DMEs. I'd try that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts