MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This 2013 Countryman 1.6L (nothing special) doesn't have a temp. gauge; why? Is this only on the cheap version? Is there a way to determine the engine coolant temp. via a digital output from the sensor during realtime operation? Can a gauge (digital or analog) be directly retrofit to connect to the sensor? The engine overheated without any warning light per the original owner's manual (manual has already proven to be in accurate; thus, useless!); essentially majority of coolant loss. Poor design, but I see no reason to proceed with any repair without being able to monitor the temp. and avoid further possible damage if the engine isn't already fried. I am an idiot for buying this car, but I am trying to educate myself and forewarn any future owner if vehicle is not parted out or scrapped. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Water or Oil?

You could fit physical sensor, MINI used to sell temp gauge kit for the R56 but not sure about Countryman.

Easiest would be to check out the MINI specific OBD2 plugin ones like the P3 gauge etc...

·
Registered
87 Posts
This 2013 Countryman 1.6L (nothing special) doesn't have a temp. gauge; why? Is this only on the cheap version? Is there a way to determine the engine coolant temp. via a digital output from the sensor during realtime operation? Can a gauge (digital or analog) be directly retrofit to connect to the sensor? The engine overheated without any warning light per the original owner's manual (manual has already proven to be in accurate; thus, useless!); essentially majority of coolant loss. Poor design, but I see no reason to proceed with any repair without being able to monitro the temp. and avoid further possible damage if the engine isn't already fried. I am an idiot for buying this car, but I am trying to educate myself and forewarn any future owner if vehicle is not parted out or scrapped.hanks!
Go on you tube I shows you how to get on the to the secret computer go to code 7 and that shows your coolant temp

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well any car will overheat with a major coolant loss of course. I agree the lack of a temperature gauge is a poor design, though many don't know how to read them. Both the light and a gauge would have been nice. The fixed this on the F series cars.
Any decent BMW/Mini scanner will show you coolant temp and much more. Carly or others.

Basically the thermostat, the water pipe and the water pump are known failure points.

By "coolant loss", do you mean a big puddle under the car?, or just a mysterious loss of coolant with no leaks?
if it's the later it could be head gasket which is a much bigger job than say the thermostat, which is not super hard to change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's another option: You can display four engine parameters with the Scan gauge II, and Craven Speed make a very nice (easy to install) bracket. I currently have the gauge configured to display oil pressure, engine coolant temp (FWT), Air fuel (A/F) ratio, and voltage.

Here's what it looks like installed. This is my '07 MINI, so oil pressure wasn't available at that time. That changed in 2011.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
This 2013 Countryman 1.6L (nothing special) doesn't have a temp. gauge; why? Is this only on the cheap version? Is there a way to determine the engine coolant temp. via a digital output from the sensor during realtime operation? Can a gauge (digital or analog) be directly retrofit to connect to the sensor? The engine overheated without any warning light per the original owner's manual (manual has already proven to be in accurate; thus, useless!); essentially majority of coolant loss. Poor design, but I see no reason to proceed with any repair without being able to monitro the temp. and avoid further possible damage if the engine isn't already fried. I am an idiot for buying this car, but I am trying to educate myself and forewarn any future owner if vehicle is not parted out or scrapped.hanks!
below link really good and so worth the money for piece of mind,, i see endless edn results from these cars without a gauge ie new engine at worst
just plugs in to eobd socket in the car and runs directly off the coolant sensor and ecu out put so is in real time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will review the information to determine which is most applicable and more importantly within my budget. I would not mind oil temp. being displayed also, I was not aware that the option existed.
Coolant leak is from the crossover pipe connection to the water pump. Even with essentially no coolant I did not get a warning light. No water in oil or power loss. Drinks nearly .3gallon/1.5 Liters to travel 5 miles/8 Km.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts

·
Registered
2011 clubman s, chili red and silver, manual tranny
2 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will review the information to determine which is most applicable and more importantly within my budget. I would not mind oil temp. being displayed also, I was not aware that the option existed.
Coolant leak is from the crossover pipe connection to the water pump. Even with essentially no coolant I did not get a warning light. No water in oil or power loss. Drinks nearly .3gallon/1.5 Liters to travel 5 miles/8 Km.
ultragauge lets you see the coolant temp in very large numbers and you can set an alarm so if it gets too high, like 230, it will alert you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts