MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper D Clubman (BMW make) with engine W16 (according to vin decoding). After a technical inspection of smoke test at high RPMs, the rattling sound appears from passenger side (right side) from engine space.

I would like to think- this is ar chain tensioner fault. I'm right or it sounds for big problems? No additional problems with engine- normally starts even is minus 20 Celsius (-4 F).

Thank You in advance!

G.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, even the owner's manual is signed by BMW, it does not matters. The engine is PSA (Peugeot, Citroen) W16. How abot my issue?

TNX

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Tensioner might be rattling but it doesn't have a chain. They are belt driven. What is the mileage on the engine and how often is it serviced?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote from forum "A couple of years ago I rang my local mini dealears and asked when the cambelt should be changed as it was not mentioned in the services, the person said all mini/BMW cars after 2007 are cam chain."

The belt is not seen in engine bay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real. This is my first diesel so my experience is below zero. Autodata shows both chain and belt to this engine. Change interval showed 240 t. km. My Clubman's mileage is below 190 t.km.
There is a time difference related to posts- I am located in Eastern Europe.

p.s. Seems like to this is my first and last diesel. The care of petrol engines is simplier and understandable than this space ship.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After investigating trough Autodata catalogue, my own conclusion is- it is time to change both- the timing belt and chain in head. The chain may be noisy because slightly stretched. Some sources recommends the change interval 200 t.km. Sorry, I'm complete idiot in diesels.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I've given you advice and you go in the opposite direction buddy and start quoting from "conversations" and autodata and you go on to say that
Sorry, I'm complete idiot in diesels.
so how the heck can anyone take you seriously, plus you think your MINI is a frigging BMW. An engine is an engine. If you don't understand how they work then you have no chance of diagnosing the fault never mind fixing it yourself.

Sorry to be blunt but an investment in a Haynes Manual would be a good starting point

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You for response. In normal conditions I don't think about this issue and bring car to service, but there aren't ADEQUATE SERVICES near my location. Therefore the best is to know location of problem in advance.
Anyway, thanks for conversation.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a chain linking the two cams. Which would be on the back/passenger side RHD of the engine.
Exactly. The sound is going from this place. The car is waiting for service now. If will be possible, I will ask to the serviceman take photos.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Are there more Peugeot dealers/garages than BMW near 'wherever it is you live in eastern Europe?' If so, try one of them. They'll be 100% familiar with the Pug (that's what we in the UK nickname Peugeots) engine.

There's not a lot of difference between a diesel and a petrol. Same bits go round and round but fuel is ignited by compression (very high, i.e. 20/1 rather than 10/1), not spark.

Do you have Google 'wherever it is you live in eastern Europe?' It can be very informative.
And Wiki?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_HDi_engine
How Stuff Works is quite handy. It starts "In theory, diesel engines and gasoline engines are quite similar". Indeed.
Diesel Engines vs. Gasoline Engines - How Diesel Engines Work | HowStuffWorks
This lot took me about 3 minutes to find. Maybe your internet speeds are from the dark ages. I doubt that.
What is the difference between gasoline and diesel engines? |NCH
I'm not going to abuse you as some of the posters have, but matey, get a grip.
May we ask 'wherever it is you live in eastern Europe' is? Just interested.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts