MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just taken delivery of a Cooper with Chili Pack (standard chili 16inch 5star alloys). I may just be being over sensitive here but the power steering pump appears to be very very noisy, more noisy that on any of my previous cars. It's almost as if it is struggling with the fatter tyres. I’ve spoken to my dealer and he has come out with the standard “it a characteristic of the mini” :rolleyes:

Has anyone else noticed this loud whining noise? urrrm from the car not me :eek:

Add this to the growing list of niggles, creaking drivers seat, infamous left pull, loss of engine coolent (half the reservoir in 500 miles) as each day goes by the future for the most fabulous car I’ve ever owned is looking more and more bleak :mad:

Still love it to bits though :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
As Paul says, the power steering is noisy.

There have been a number of posts concerning recent delivery Minis which were "creeky seat" and left pull/drift free. It is interesting to hear that these faults are still present on some recent build Minis. My December build car has both faults.

Coolant loss sounds the most serious, though it may be easy for the garage to fix.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Get a new radiator cap ASAP! The cap on Apial's first MINI One was bad and his engine blew before he had 25 miles on it. The cooling system uses a recovery tank. Hot coolant expands, goes out the cap and into the tank. When the engine cools, the vacuum in the radiator sucks the coolant back from the tank. The radiator cap has a pressure valve, a suction valve and a rubber seal to prevent leaks. If the valves leak or the seal is bad, you will boil the coolant away.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
As far as the coolant "problem" goes, it isn't a problem!
I had the same on my MINI. It appears that there must be a small airlock in the system when it is filled. After the engine has been run for a few miles, it goes and hence the drop in coolant level.
I topped my coolant up to the full mark (using the correct mix/coolant) after I had done about 1000 miles. I have now done 4500 miles and the coolant level hasn't changed. :)
Get your dealer to top it up and you will find the problems solved. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your comments, just spoken with the dealer and he said the same as R1 - that it was probably an air lock. I'll fill it up tonight with coolent/water (while the engine is cold) and keep an eye on it.

Regards to the left pull he said to use it for a week - while monitoring the coolent level - then contact him to book it in for left pull investigations. If the coolent drops in the next week they'll look at that too.

So watch this space, i'll let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Incase anyone is interested in the outcome, after just over 1300 miles and a few gurgles from the heater unit the coolent level has stabilised - must have been an airlock after all. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Power steering noise

Mine does it. A friend of mine in the trade says its a good sign, good tight seals. The pump is also electric by the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts