MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
We've sort of had this question before in the form of "what to use to clean my car" but never actually answered the exact question...

Does anyone know which car polishes are non abrasive?
I'm currently using Auto-Glym, but there's no hint whether this is abrasive or not.

The only one i've seen i "Halfords New Car Polish" but it comes in near-toothpaste sized tubes and isn't particularly cheap.

Mer doesn't claim to be non abrasive on the blurb on the tin either.

Anyone got any evidence?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI JOHNBOY,

If you're using the red labelled Autoglym polish then i think it has a very fine abrasive in it as it is termed a 'polish'. Autoglym does a gold labelled pure liqiud wax to apply to new bodywork or one that has just been polished 'for that perfect showroom condition'.

Since we got our MINI i have washed it once a fortnight and just used the gold labelled Autoglym wax to protect the bodywork. Hoping that this would negate the need for an abrasive polish for at least six months from new as the paint will not have oxidised to any significant extent.

Hope this info will be of use to you.

ENJOY your MINI :p :p :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
VC

So what's the drift here, avoid polish and stick to wax. Or use Auto-glym?

My Mini's still gleaming and I'd like to keep it that way, I hate to see it dirty!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I only use Auto-glym. It brings the car up to a high shine & looks like its just come out of the showroom :) :) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Auto-Glym is my favoured polish.

Just make sure you use a new/clean and soft polishing cloth each time - An old/dirty or rough polishing cloth can do more scratches than any polish can!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's the best polish to use

Hi MickeyGem

It really doesn't matter what brand you use, but i generally prefer AutoGlym because the shine does seem to last a bit longer and also it's alot easier to use (time and effort vs. result).

The point i was trying to get across was that there is a difference in polishes and wax. Waxes only make clean, unoxidised paintwork shine and forms a protective coating on the paint whereas polishes have a very fine abrasive (like T-Cut BUT very much less abrasive)to get rid of the coating of oxidised paintwork that prevents waxes from making it shine. A polish also has wax mixed in to seal the clean paintwork in.

I think using a polish on a brand new car would be too harsh as the coats of paint (even ones heat dried like the MINIand most modern cars) need time to harden off. Since the paintwork has not had enough time to oxidise to any degree it would only need a wax 'top-up'.

Hope this is helpful and clearer than mud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:) Well a consistent vote for Auto Glym, and I have to agree. I've been using their range for years now and they are fantastic and great value for money.:cool: Some of the products like the bumper stuff has lasted me over 5 yrs. In fact for my new MINI I stocked up on the whole range cost a small fortune but the car just cry's to be cared for.:D

My advise to anyone would be to check out their great Web site.
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html

Use the list top right and read their detailed advise on how to really care for your car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks VC and all,

I hadn't appreciated the difference between polish and wax,Auto Glym wax it is

Off down to Halfords tomorrow...

·
Registered
88 Posts
i got some from bmw

Hi yall i went to bmw yesterday to get my mini looked at .
so i asked about the polish and they gave me some :) of the stuff they use on there cars.
But also said if i ever want to buy anymore you can get it from halfords But it only comes in 5 litre tins and costs £70 whoosh i said but at least i got enough to polish my car 25 times its pink and is none abrassive so i suggest you go down to halfords and ask if they can do smaller tins

·
Registered
330 Posts
VC said:
Autoglym does a gold labelled pure liqiud wax to apply to new bodywork or one that has just been polished 'for that perfect showroom condition'.
I think that might be called 'High Gloss'. Use it myself, occasionally. Goes on easier than it comes off.;)

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Hey guys I use Meguiars, they are the best car cleaning product I have ever used, check out their site www.meguiars.co.uk

I bought "Gold class" clear coat liquid car was and "gold class" car wash shampoo and conditer, these products are simply overwhelming, abit pricey, but well worth it if you love your car!

They also do this alloy cleaner which is sweet! its called "hot rims" and the "gold class" metal restorer brings out a mega shine to silver alloys!

I highly recommend em.......and if your wondering, no I don't work for them, I'm just a plain college student who owns a Mini Cooper and completely loves it!

This stuff is the best, well worth the extra hours of my part time work pay hehehe :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
ZYMOL ZYMOL ZYMOL
It's the best bar none

Without wishing to sound like "my other car's a Porsche" I do have a near concours 87 Carerra and Zymol products while expensive are the BIZ BIG TIME.
Check out their web site a lot and I mean a lot of Porsche owners use it.
PS My mini is more fun in the wet!!!!
Dr Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts