MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find this, wondered if anyone can help.

Are Reanault Clio 'Double Optic' headlights Xenon lights or not?

Abi's Clio (2000 model(si I think)) has 'double optic' lights and I cannot work out if they are Xenons or not??

Anyone know?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
My mum got a New Shape clio(huge front lights) & I dont think they are Xenon's but they do look kinda blue/bright white :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
According to Renault's web-site, Xenon's are an option, not standard until you get near the top of the range.

They have what they call a "configurator" which has all the options listed and Xenon lights are listed there.

The standard Double Optic lights on the lower models look the same as the Xenons on the web-site.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
My understanding is that "Double Optic" Headlights have nothing to do with the gas type. Single optic headlights have one reflector and one bulb with two filaments, one for high beam, the other for dipped beam. "Double optic" headlights have one reflector and one bulb for main beam, and one reflector and one bulb for high beam. So it looks like four headlights. The new MX5 has double optic headlights for example, but they are not Xenon gas.

Mini lights are double optic as standard arnt' they ? Upper area for dipped beam, lower seperate area for high beam.

If i'm wrong, may the hand of god strike me down.

:)

PS. Have a look here. No mention of the Bulbs being specifically Xenon Gas for the conversion!

http://www.geocities.com/dave_hampshire/wiringguide.html

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Blue and bright isn't really the test anymore, many companies produce high-intensity halogens with a blue-tint glass.

Have someone else turn on the lights while you're looking at them. If they hesitate slightly, sort of a on-ON step-up to turning on, they're HID lamps. All the HID lamps so far seem to come from just a few manufacturers, and do this little gas ballast start-up sequence.

If that isn't obvious (too fast, like on a Porsche) then try to look at the bulbs. If there's a filiment, it's halogen. Nothing? Then it's HID.

The headlamp fuse can also be a giveaway. HID lamps 'usually' require a lesser fuse than halogens.

Although, that might be a little obsessive to check. You'll know eventually... the super bright halogens burn out pretty quickly, where the HID lamps have an operating life beyond the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts