MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking my car today and the dipstick is not the best. BMW wanted £20. I believe that you can get none snapable ones. Had a look on eBay but could not see one.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If its an R50 don't bother, if its an R53 then change it, the R50 is basically a straight insertion into the sump with no stress on the component. The R53 is an offset tube with sharp bends (due to the Super Charger) which stress the fibreglass shaft resulting in cracks and the buggers snapping off and dropping into the sump.

·
Registered
917 Posts
And change it before it breaks....unlike many including me, who have to get the part out by taking the sump off.

I now have only the top of the old one in the pipe and I keep the non breakable one for dipping.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I am super confident that our Dipsticks read correctly, we test that sort of thing thoroughly. If you had one that was over reading that is a big deal, and I want to replace it for you for free. I will send you a PM.
Too late now.

I'm talking 8 years ago

Plus I don't even own a Cooper s anymore

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am super confident that our Dipsticks read correctly, we test that sort of thing thoroughly. If you had one that was over reading that is a big deal, and I want to replace it for you for free. I will send you a PM.
Sorry, but quite simply, they don't read correctly.

As your dipstick is floppy, and the dipsticks enter the sump at an angle. The CravenSpeed one flops down, which is why they over-read.
I bought one around 2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Kellen, that is a hell of a price for a dipstick. There is a metal wire one you can get here for about £15.99. On eBay. Free delivery.
There is a video - go way down the ad.
BMW MINI Cooper S Engine Oil Dipstick R53 Gauge level Dip Stick NEVER SNAPS META | eBay

There is a long recent thread on Minitorque about non EOM dipsticks.....that over read.
I use the exact same dipstick on my R53 and it works perfectly, cant understand why one would want to pay a heft price for the dipstick with an alloy handle that will burn your fingers when hot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, but quite simply, they don't read correctly.

As your dipstick is floppy, and the dipsticks enter the sump at an angle. The CravenSpeed one flops down, which is why they over-read.
I bought one around 2-3 years ago.
You are correct, but that assumes that we made a flexible copy of the stock dipstick and just figured it would read the same. This thing was designed with the sump and the tube out of the car, on the table so that we could design it to read correctly at every level. Folks are often concerned when they forts get it because it is not the exact same length as the stock dipstick, but I am certain that it reads correctly. If yours from a few years ago was reading incorrectly, there was something wrong with it. I would be glad to replace it for you.

I cannot argue with expensive, it certainly is that. We make stuff the right way and then charge for what it costs to do that and that is not always priced competitively with OEM parts. We are not big enough to do market research, but we can design a great part.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You are correct, but that assumes that we made a flexible copy of the stock dipstick and just figured it would read the same. This thing was designed with the sump and the tube out of the car, on the table so that we could design it to read correctly at every level. Folks are often concerned when they forts get it because it is not the exact same length as the stock dipstick, but I am certain that it reads correctly. If yours from a few years ago was reading incorrectly, there was something wrong with it. I would be glad to replace it for you.
Something went wrong somewhere then, as mine was exactly the same length as the OEM dipstick. Which is why I couldn't understand how it over-read...until I saw how the dipstick exits the tube and enters the sump.

It's not just mine that over-reads, so it's not a one-off.

I think I binned mine, I didn't even have the gall to give away something for free which simply didn't function correctly and had potential to cause someones engine to run low on oil :serious:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just ordered the eBay non snappable steel one for £15.99 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-Cooper-S-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-R53-Gauge-level-Dip-Stick-NEVER-SNAPS-META/132328771364?fits=Car+Make:Mini|Cars+Type:Cooper+S&hash=item1ecf68cf24:g:JVoAAOSwMmBVuz3p

Paranoia got the better of me. My standard one must be 12 years old.

AND seen a great tip elsewhere. As they are difficult to read when your oil is new and clean - paint the end white. So when mine arrives, and before it gets oil on it, I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just ordered the eBay non snappable steel one for £15.99 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-Cooper-S-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-R53-Gauge-level-Dip-Stick-NEVER-SNAPS-META/132328771364?fits=Car+Make:Mini|Cars+Type:Cooper+S&hash=item1ecf68cf24:g:JVoAAOSwMmBVuz3p

Paranoia got the better of me. My standard one must be 12 years old.

AND seen a great tip elsewhere. As they are difficult to read when your oil is new and clean - paint the end white. So when mine arrives, and before it gets oil on it, I'm going to do that.
I hope you get it bud , the reason I say that is last year I ordered one from the same seller and after 2 weeks it did not arrive ..in the end I got a refund and bought one from somewhere else .

Dont get me wrong the guy was polite enough etc but it was a case of mine had snapped and I needed one ASAP .

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I hope you get it bud , the reason I say that is last year I ordered one from the same seller and after 2 weeks it did not arrive ..in the end I got a refund and bought one from somewhere else .

Dont get me wrong the guy was polite enough etc but it was a case of mine had snapped and I needed one ASAP .
Thanks for the heads up. Mine's simply precautionary, so it is not desperate. An eBay message did say "This seller is on holiday". Having said that, got the email yesterday late evening to say it has been dispatched and will arrive tomorrow Sat or Monday.

I really want to try it painted white. I do have trouble reading the level of clean oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts