MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Recently emigrated to Melbourne from the UK. I'm actually an aussie but I've spent 15 years in the UK... got so shafted in exchange rate, selling house, you name it that I decided that to perk meself up I'd go full hog and live the dream by getting the car I always wanted. An MCS of course!

It wasn't easy finding the right one. Eg anything even close in non-negotiable manual. I did though. Pure silver MCS, sun roof, red leather interior, wood finish, chromeline in and out. It makes me very happy inside. Even though I paid vastly more money than it would have cost to buy one in the UK... I guess I should attach some piccies!

So then... hello to you all. I should say, I'm not a very experienced driver even. Only a couple of years even though I'm 37. But the mini makes me very happy and scares me a little in what it can do. It's a bit faster than my diesel mazda 3... So I'm really not too interested in tuning anything. I wouldn't mind actually getting to some track stuff just to try gain some/any performance handling skills, lord knows I could do with!

I think I'd like to do a bit of cosmetic work on my baby. Some stripes. Aero kit type stuff, since I really don't like the side skirts. Not much extra, the grunt on offer is more than my meagre skills can currently account for. I hope to pick some tips up from you guys on what's the go, how to get it done well and cost effectively. Nothing too OTT but right now it doesn't look... mini enough for me.

(Saw a cracker MCS in town centre the other day. British Racing Green, white bonnet stripes and a full union jack rooftop. Almost teared me up :)

So far loving life in melbourne, ever bemused by locals moaning about the weather. Just hanging on for each weekend until I can get me lovely mini out on the open road... :p

Attachments

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Hello! Nice car......you should join us on the 20th for a bit of a drive....get to know your MINI really well and meet some Brit/Aussie Melburnians in the process......

Would say we are a bit MINI obsessed........but we are pretty good fun!

Drop me an email or pm....if your up for it! [email protected]

infact all three of you should! Would be great to see you all there!

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
Welcome to the world of MINI!! :D I've wasted too much money than I care to think about on Minis over the years but I have to say that it has been worth every cent!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice colour combo, I like the timber as well. I just cant wait to get my MCS, apparently here beginning of July so should have it in a few weeks I hope......... still no word from dealer, I have my plates and I am ready to go just no car:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buggery, hope you get it soon!

I wonder what the wood steering wheel would be like... hmm.

Did a bit of exploratory hunting around about stripes and stuff. Seems most of them are decals you put on yourself? Saw some on ebay but I'm after a stripe of checkered paterns or the cooper word kind of alternating filled/transparent on the stripe. Can't seem them around anywhere though.

Next stop to try hunt for some skirting. I don't mind the front/back so JCW aero is probably overkill.

Anyone else find they tend to scuff the door near the hinge getting in and out? I'm almost thinking of trying to attach some triangular protection there, either plastic or aluminium... Sure I can get in and out carefully but still :)

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
Late welcome to Mini2. :D I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
Nice Mini too btw, and great interior !

K

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys!

So given I know nothing, right, can you give me some pointers as to where I could buy mini stuff in Oz? First port of call would be aero skirts, the black plastic stripe really spoils it to my eyes.

I'm a complete noob to modifying cars etc but I can operate a screwdriver in a reasonably proficient manner :)

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... well I thought I'd try meself. First dealer wasn't really much interested in talking to me. Second dealer actually will sell the skirts for the princely sum of $540 each. Presumably $1080 for the pair.

Same dealer says they don't have a listing for JCW rubber mats just 'plain black' which seems very odd to me.

In other news, I spoke to some guy in Perth who did some amazing graphic work on Minis. Sent over some artwork, mock up etc. Then he went quiet on me. Maybe he didn't like it, lol :)

So... stuff it, time to go abroad. Spoke to Phil at Mini Pirate and he was quite keen right away and said he'll lash up some mock ups. I'm dead excited, my mock up is inexpert but the whole thing is definately 'me' - with a bit of professional polish it make me love my new MCS more than I do already. If that's possible :)

I'm guessing I'll get no response again, but if anyone does know where I can get some JCW mats I'd be most grateful. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
... well I thought I'd try meself. First dealer wasn't really much interested in talking to me. Second dealer actually will sell the skirts for the princely sum of $540 each. Presumably $1080 for the pair.

Same dealer says they don't have a listing for JCW rubber mats just 'plain black' which seems very odd to me.

In other news, I spoke to some guy in Perth who did some amazing graphic work on Minis. Sent over some artwork, mock up etc. Then he went quiet on me. Maybe he didn't like it, lol :)

So... stuff it, time to go abroad. Spoke to Phil at Mini Pirate and he was quite keen right away and said he'll lash up some mock ups. I'm dead excited, my mock up is inexpert but the whole thing is definately 'me' - with a bit of professional polish it make me love my new MCS more than I do already. If that's possible :)

I'm guessing I'll get no response again, but if anyone does know where I can get some JCW mats I'd be most grateful. :)
In my experience all the BMW mini garages in Australia suck... end of story.
The prices they charge for any mini parts when compared to what you pay overseas is a rip off - they justify it by saying it is a genuine BMW part.
You are better off sourcing parts overseas and getting them shipped over
Try
John Cooper Works Front Checkered Flag Floor Mats*::*floormats*::*interior*::*02-06 Cooper S*::*MINI Cooper Accessories : MINI Cooper Parts : OutMotoring

D-MAN

·
.....like a Cheshire cat.
430 Posts
Greetings,
Great looking car, look forward to seeing you at some ClubMINI runs (when I can get to them).
Re the protective film, have a look at OZICOZI Paint Protection Film Site, Terence is a top bloke and a fellow MINI owner. He did the protective film for the top of the rear bumper on my Clubman (and the UJ decal on my previous MINI). He is a perfectionaist so you can't go wrong.

Phil

·
.....like a Cheshire cat.
430 Posts
Nice colour combo, I like the timber as well. I just cant wait to get my MCS, apparently here beginning of July so should have it in a few weeks I hope......... still no word from dealer, I have my plates and I am ready to go just no car:(

Off topic, so apologies - how long to wait now? What plates have you got?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent, spot on - thanks for that. Ordered JCW mats and a few other bits and bobs from the US. Postage wasn't too bad really. Do you likely get stung on import charges for this sort of thing when you order from the US to Oz?

Shame the wont ship the skirts. $800 US is better than the $1000+ quoted by mini dealer...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Excellent, spot on - thanks for that. Ordered JCW mats and a few other bits and bobs from the US. Postage wasn't too bad really. Do you likely get stung on import charges for this sort of thing when you order from the US to Oz?

Shame the wont ship the skirts. $800 US is better than the $1000+ quoted by mini dealer...
As long as it is under $1000 AUD you wont get charged any import duty...if it is over you get hit big time unless the company will do creative invoicing for you:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tell you what, I'm coming around to this thinking about BMW dealers.

Having got a reply, bit of a fob off actually, from Kings Way to their body shop - I call the body shop, they tell me I need to talk to the Kings Way dealer. Unreal... You think when they're over charging for a simple bit of body kit they'd actually be bothered eh?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts