MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and about to buy an MCS but having difficulty choosing between a couple, so wanted to speak to you guys and gals for some advice...

Having seen a few S's, I've found 2 early 2005 models both of which I'd be really happy with. Both very good condition, both have the chili pack and are both priced the same (about a fiver under the £9k mark). However, there are some subtle differences...

One has done approx 56k miles, has full service history (although not all BMW) and 3 previous owners, but also has a few nice extras: full leather, official auto steering wheel (stereo controls, cruise control), harman kardon stereo and privacy glass. Looking at the 2007 mini site this looks like £900+ of extras.

The other misses these features, but has done much fewer miles at 26k, has had one owner, 18 months tlc left (1 service done, next due now) and has just got new tyres. The red security light on the indicator stalk is also on the right v the left like on most other MCS' I've seen - not sure why but would appreciate enlightenment!

Anyway, I'm trying to weigh up the extra spec vs the much fewer miles and some remainder tlc pack (for example, is this really worth it?) and would really appreciate advice from people in the know. Personally, I really love all the extras, but worried if this is making me biased!

So, what do you reckon?

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Specis always good, I recently sold my S which had 60 k on the clock-04 plate, Sat Nav, full leather pretty much everything on it, full history for under 10k.
The buyer didn't mind the miles as he will do low miles in it so will average out over the years, but as it had been fully serviced by BMW, I kept the car mint, it was a bargain.
So if you are going to use it as a wekeend car or do about 5k a year, I wouldn't worry too much about high milers :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers ALD0! Car will prob do 8k a year, so may have to go for the lower spec even if it pains me to do so... but then again, spec is nice... ;)

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
There's more to it than just the miles/spec. I know of a 2003 JCW S for sale with below average miles, two owners, all the right bits, looks great and drives well and is,on the surface, priced fairly.

But I also know the car has been hammered to within an inch of it's life, been vandalised and repaired (albeit properly) and is thousands of miles past due a service, trouble is you just wouldn't know any of this by looking at it.

Going back to the cars you cite,I'd be wary of any 3 year old car that has had 4 owners,to me that suggests there is a story to the car and usually that story involves an insurance company and a load of new panels....

Caveat emptor ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mosposco. It does worry me that it's had so many owners, but then again checks out completely clear on the HPI check I did. Nevertheless, concerned it may be cursed with a few recurring glitches even though it's seemed fine on the test drives I've taken it on. Just finding it hard to think sensibly. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have to agree with Mosposco. I think there is a story with this car. Most Minis would have been sold with a TLC pack which would mean a car of this milage should have a full dealer service history. It has also done a few more miles than than average for a car of that age (if you say 12000 miles per year is average) You don't say where you are buying it from - if you are buying it from a main dealer then you will no doubt have some come back if all goes wrong with the car.
What ever you choose you have chosen the right type of car. They are great!:D
All the best with you decision. Whatever you do there is usually someone on here who can help or make a comment.:smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advice! It's not coming from a dealership but is a trade sale, coming with 1 months warranty. So if anything major did go wrong I doubt I'd have much comeback. Looks like I might have to reconsider. Had already arranged another viewing for tomorrow night, so try and get to bottom of things.

Thanks once more to you all for pointing me in the right direction (even if it isn't what i wanted to hear! ;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Glasgort
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing